*This post may contain affiliate links.
Irresistible chocolate crepes! The chocolaty version of French crepes made with cacao powder, sugar, and vanilla extract.
I often fill crepes with chocolate spread for a chocolaty French dessert, so why not add the chocolate directly into the batter? So much easier and worth its own recipe.
Chocolate crepe is the perfect recipe for every French crepe lover who loves chocolate (let’s say, everybody…). These thin crepes are made with a cacao crepe batter and are cooked in melted butter. A delight to serve for every brunch or dessert.
You can top them with whipped cream and fresh fruit like berries or banana.
Chocolate Crepe Recipe
These easy chocolate crepes are made the same way as basic French crepes (one of my reader’s favorite recipe). The only difference is that you add cacao and sugar to the crepe batter. Feel free to substitute the cacao with melted chocolate chips.
How to Make Chocolate Crepes
- Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. The crepes turn out smoother this way than mixed by hand. Use a whisk if you don’t have a blender.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. This ensures smoother chocolate crepes.
- Heat a skillet (or crepe pan) over medium heat, add butter or oil, and a heaped spoon of batter.
- Swirl the pan until it covers the bottom of the pan. Cook each side for 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Repeat with the remaining batter and add more butter/oil if necessary.
Yes, use two skillets for cooking two crepes at the same time.
Of course. Add all ingredients into a large bowl and mix using a whisker. Be aware that the mixture will be much smoother using a blender.
If you are a master, throw up the crepe into the air. Otherwise, use a rubber spatula.
Chocolate Crepe Filling Ideas
- I used: Whipped Cream, Blueberries, Raspberry Seeds
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Fresh Strawberries
- Chocolate Chips
- Cream Cheese
- Whipped Cream
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy French Crepes
- Gluten-Free Buckwheat Crepes
- Braided Nutella Bread
- Easy Brioche French Toast
- Pain Au Chocolat
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- Add all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, mix it in a large bowl using a whisk. Let the batter rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add one tablespoon of butter or oil, let it melt and add about ¼ cup (60ml) of the batter into the pan. Swirl until the bottom is covered.
- Cook each side for 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Repeat this procedure with the rest of the batter.
- Serve the chocolate crepes with your preferred filling.
- If you don’t use the whole batter, you can store it in your fridge for up to one day and make fresh crepes the next day with it.
- If you like to use nut milk for this recipe, add ~¼ cup of water. Nut milk is usually thicker than cow milk, therefore it’s the best to dilute it with water to prevent the batter to be too thick.