Read in: Deutsch
This delicious egg salad sandwich is the perfect snack – a tasty, high-protein, vegetarian meal that is healthy, inexpensive, and satisfying! Here is how to make it!
This simple recipe for egg salad will come in handy on sandwiches and toasts. The creamy egg salad sandwich filling is made with mayo and tastes great with garden cress or microgreens.
Egg salad can be a nutritious alternative to meat-based sandwiches. Also, it’s simple to make from items readily found in the kitchen.
I love this sandwich as a snack, on hikes, or as a quick vegetarian protein-packed lunch or dinner. I recommend serving it with a green side salad!
If you want to save some carbohydrates, serve it on a single slice of bread or toast instead of a sandwich. For this, spread the egg mixture on a piece of bread of your choice, decorate with some garden cress, and it’s ready.
You can even wrap the creamy egg salad mixture in a wrap with some lettuce, spread it on crispbread, or serve it with a mixed salad.
Even better when serving it with one of these homemade breads:
For a vegan egg salad sandwich, you can try this recipe for vegan egg salad with chickpeas! Also tastes very delicious and is packed with protein.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Eggs → The main ingredient! It is best to use organic eggs. You can also use hard-boiled eggs from the day before.
- Mayonnaise → Provides flavor and a creamy texture!
- Mustard → For seasoning! For this recipe, I like to use the somewhat coarse-grained Moutarde à l’Ancienne or Dijon Mustard. Works with any mustard, though.
- Ground Paprika→ I love to use ground smoked paprika. If you don’t like the egg salad to turn reddish, omit ground paprika.
- Vinegar→ A splash of vinegar of your choice. Lemon juice works too.
- Chives & Garden Cress → Fresh greens add color and more flavor. Parsley, fresh dill, microgreens, or lettuce work too.
- Salt & Pepper→ To season.
- Bread → Use bread of your choice! I recommend sandwich bread, artisan bread, or sourdough bread.
Visual Step-by-Step Instructions
This visual step-by-step instruction will help you along the way to make this classic egg salad sandwich – definitely recommended if you’re a cooking beginner! 😉
- Place eggs in a small pot or saucepan and cover with water. Put on the lid, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let it sit for 10 minutes (set a timer). Run cold water over the eggs or place them in an ice bath until cool.
- In the meantime, mix mayo, mustard, ground paprika, chives, and a splash of vinegar in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Peel the eggs and chop them into large chunks.
- Add the chopped eggs to the bowl and mix well.
- Either spread the egg salad on a slice of bread and sprinkle with garden cress/microgreens (less carbs), or make sandwiches with it.
- Finely chop a few pickles and mix into the salad.
- Stir in finely chopped shallot, red onion, or green onion for a crunch.
- Add some finely chopped celery stalk.
- Mix sliced avocado into the egg salad. → Makes a particularly creamy avocado egg salad.
- For a slightly healthier version, replace half or all of the mayo in the recipe with plain yogurt or Greek yogurt.
- Curry fans are welcome to add some curry powder to the egg salad.
- Season to taste with your choice of spices and fresh herbs!
Make Ahead & Storage Instructions
Egg salad can easily be prepared a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. However, prepare sandwiches just before serving, so the bread remains crisp. 😉
Store leftover egg salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Stays fresh for 2-3 days.
More Delicious Sandwich Recipes
Egg Salad Sandwich
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp mustard I love to use Moutarde à l'Ancienne oder Dijon Mustard
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- ½ tbsp chives minced
- a splash vinegar
- salt & pepper
Egg Salad Sandwiches
- 4-8 slices bread of choice
- some garden cress or microgreens
- Place eggs in a small pot and cover with water. Put on the lid, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let it sit for 10 minutes (set a timer). Run cold water over the eggs or place them in an ice bath until cool.
- In the meantime, mix mayo, mustard, ground paprika, chives, and a splash of vinegar in a bowl. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Peel the eggs and chop them into large chunks. Add to the bowl and mix well.
- Either spread the egg salad on a slice of bread and top it with garden cress/microgreens (less carbs), or make sandwiches with it.