Read in: Deutsch
This fennel orange salad with toasted hazelnuts comes with a light dressing and is super quick to make, healthy, fresh, and delicious.
Fennel and orange harmonize so well together, which this salad proves! It’s a wonderful winter salad variation with that little extra. Fresh, healthy, light!
I think that adding finely sliced oranges does bring a whole new taste to every salad. Plus, it makes your salad looking more beautiful in an instant.
Best way to slice an orange? Peel, cut lengthwise in half, lay it cut-side down, and slice in very thin slices.
Watch out for fennel with fronds. You can chop them roughly and add them as a decoration to your salad. Fennel fronds are aromatic and add a wonderful flavor. By the way, I highly recommend grating the fennel super thin using a mandolin slicer.
Even the dressing for this fennel orange salad recipe is straightforward. All you need is olive oil, orange juice (preferably freshly squeezed), maple syrup, salt, and pepper! A rather mild dressing that goes wonderfully with shaved fennel.
Do you prefer your dressing a little more tangy? Add one tablespoon of vinegar and one teaspoon of mustard. Feel free to add minced garlic, shallots, or grated ginger.
Recipe FAQ & Tips
How long does it stay fresh? Packed in an airtight container and stored in your refrigerator, up to 2 days.
Nuts: Feel free to swap hazelnuts with walnuts. Or go nut-free! This fennel salad does taste delicious with or without nuts!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
- Celery Root Salad with Apple & Walnuts
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Simple Green Salad
- French Lentil Salad with Beet and Feta
- Roasted Carrot Soup with Orange
Did You Try This Recipe?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Fennel Orange Salad
- 1 fennel
- 2 oranges
- ¼ cup (30 g) hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- salt & pepper to taste
- Roughly chop and toast the hazelnuts in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant.
- Slice the fennel very thin using a mandolin slicer or sharp knife. Peel and slice the oranges. Arrange in a large bowl and top with the toasted hazelnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad. Toss and serve!