Read in: Deutsch
This crispy and flavorful Grilled Tofu is marinated in a sauce that is richly spiced with paprika, cumin, and curry powder. Perfectly paired with a delicious homemade chimichurri sauce, it will become a favorite in no time!
This grilled tofu recipe is so great, it’s a popular dish with everyone I serve it too, and not just vegetarians and vegans! It’s one of the best and most delicious ways to throw a good dose of plant-based protein on the grill.
Properly marinated, grilled tofu tastes really delicious and is anything but boring! If you want to know how to grill tofu well, then you have come to the right place. With a few spices and a classic sauce, tofu suddenly becomes the star of your next barbecue party.
There are now countless great vegan products for the grill. However, these often contain many undesirable additives or preservatives, and that’s why I’m a big fan of this recipe. In addition, tofu is relatively cheap compared to many vegan substitutes! I would say it’s a win-win! 🙌
The marinade is prepared with various spices and also some oil. This is rubbed into the tofu and then it’s ready to be grilled. There is no need to let it marinate for several hours, it tastes amazing when cooked straight away. However, you can prepare it in advance and store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
My favorite way to serve grilled tofu is with this chimichurri sauce. This authentic Argentinian sauce is made with parsley and cilantro and harmonizes wonderfully with this grilled tofu recipe. You can use any sauce you wish to because these grilled tofu steaks are so versatile!
Taking only 20 minutes to make, this dish is great for any occasion. It will quickly become a go-to for your grill menu all year round. From filling lunches to quick weeknight dinners to entertaining guests for a fancy dinner, this recipe is a fantastic vegan option.
Tips for Grilling Tofu Like A Pro
- The grill or grill pan should be well preheated and rubbed with a little oil.
- If you want gorgeous grill marks (like in the pictures), you mustn’t move the tofu while it’s grilling. Turn once and no more!
- Feel free to adjust the marinade to your own taste! For example, add some mustard, dried herbs or spices of your choice. You know best what you like! 😉
See recipe card for quantities.
- Tofu → Use Extra Firm Tofu. The liquid from the tofu should always be squeezed out a little so that it absorbs the marinade better and gets a slightly firmer consistency.
- Paprika powder, ground cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt → These ingredients make a deliciously fragrant and spicy marinade.
- Oil → It makes the marinade more spreadable. You will also need some oil to rub the grill grate or grill pan. I prefer sunflower oil, but you can use whichever you prefer.
- Chimichurri → Serving suggestion! This homemade Argentinian sauce goes perfectly with the tofu steaks – just drizzle it on top and enjoy!
Visual Step-by-Step Instructions
This visual step-by-step instruction will help you along the way – definitely recommended if you’re a cooking beginner! 😉
- Prepare the tofu: Wrap the block of tofu in some kitchen paper (or a clean tea towel) and press gently to remove excess water. Cut the tofu into 8 thin rectangles.
- Make the marinade and add tofu: Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. → You can prepare the marinade up to a day in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge to allow the flavors to fully combine.
- Marinade the tofu: Put the tofu in the marinade and mix it in, or brush it on with a pastry brush. You can leave the marinade to set on the tofu for a few minutes or use it directly on the tofu to grill it immediately.
- Optional: In the meantime, make this chimichurri sauce using my delicious recipe!
- Prepare the grill: Heat your grill or grill pan→ I always rub a little sunflower oil on my grill pan before cooking on it.
- Grill tofu: Grill the marinated tofu on both sides for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Serve: Plate up and serve with chimichurri sauce, another of your favorite sauces, or just on its own!
More Tips and Variations
- Marinade the tofu overnight for a more intense flavor. As the tofu sits in the marinade, the flavors will set up and absorb into the tofu for a stronger taste.
- Make tofu skewers by cutting the tofu into pieces, coating them in the marinade, and skewering them onto wooden skewers. Place on the grill and make sure to turn the skewers over to evenly cook.
- Serve grilled tofu with grilled veggies for added nutrition. Bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and onions taste amazing when grilled, and they complement tofu well. Add these to your skewers too for a fresh and flavorful handheld side dish!
- Drizzle a small amount of lemon juice or lime juice over the tofu, or add some into the marinade for a citrus twist.
- Make BBQ Tofu with a homemade barbecue sauce.
- Add some cayenne pepper into the marinade for some additional spiciness.
Make Ahead & Storage Instructions
Can you make the marinade ahead of time? To make the marinade early, mix the marinade (with or without the tofu in it) and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a day before you need it. Take it out of the fridge when you’re ready to cook it and grill it straight away!
How long does grilled tofu stay good for? Leftover tofu can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat up briefly in the microwave or under the broiler before serving or enjoy cold. Leftovers can also be used as a salad topping.
More Grilling Recipes You Will Love
- Grilled Zucchini
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Grilled Vegetable Skewers with Herb Butter (Vegan)
- Grilled Asparagus
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below.
Please follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook or sign up for my free newsletter to never miss the newest recipes. I would be thrilled to welcome you to my community & thank you so much for your support! 💕
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- 9 oz (250 g) extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
To serve (optional)
- 1 serving Chimichurri sauce
- Wrap the block of tofu in some kitchen paper (or a clean tea towel) and press gently to remove excess water. Cut the tofu into 8 thin rectangles.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Put the tofu in the marinade and mix it in, or brush it on with a pastry brush. You can leave the marinade to set on the tofu for a few minutes or use it directly on the tofu to grill it immediately.
- In the meantime, make chimichurri sauce using my delicious recipe!
- Heat your grill or grill pan by rubbing a little oil on the grill pan before cooking on it.
- Grill the marinated tofu on both sides for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Serve with chimichurri sauce, another of your favorite sauces, or just on its own!
Leave a Reply