Are you afraid of doing a homemade mayonnaise with an egg yolk? Or did you ever experiment a mayonnaise fail? I did a few times, that’s why I came up with this no-fail homemade mayonnaise recipe for you. Instead of an egg yolk, I used evaporated milk and it worked just fine.
Ok, I must admit – it was not my idea! My uncle who is a great chef and owned his own restaurant gave me this tip. For sure I went home and did try it straight away. And I was very happy with the outcome ☺
What is very important too, is which oil you are going to use. I tried it a few times with olive oil, as this is, besides coconut oil, my number one oil in the kitchen. But olive oil has quite a strong taste and therefore the mayonnaise has a very strong taste of the olive oil too, which was in my case quite bitter. The best oil is one with a neutral taste like canola oil.
I hope next time when you are going to eat some french fries at home you will dip them into your own homemade mayonnaise.
Homemade Mayonnaise without Egg
- 1 tbsp evaporated milk
- 2 tsp vinegar, I used white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 80 ml (0.4 cups) canola oil
- 0.5 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Add the evaporated milk, vinegar and mustard in a bowl and whisk together.
- Slowly add the oil while whisking constantly for about 5 minutes, until all the oil is used and the mayonnaise is thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and store it in a clean glass jar in the fridge and use it within one day -> The taste is better if you use it as fresh as possible.