*This post may contain affiliate links.
Oven roasted Brussels sprouts make a perfect, easy side dish for the holidays. Plus, it only takes about 30-minutes to make them.
Those maple roasted Brussels sprouts are a healthy and delicious side dish for winter. In my opinion, roasting Brussels sprouts in the oven is the best way to prepare them. Much more flavorful than just simmering them in hot water.
They turn out tender on the inside, crispy on the outside. Plus, there is not much to do once in the oven, so you can give your full attention to prepare the main dish.
Brussels sprouts are typically served as a vegetable holiday side dish for Christmas or Thanksgiving. But those veggies also make a great addition to almost any winter meal, not just on holidays. Brussels sprouts are packed with vitamin and minerals and therefore a wonderful vegetables side dish during winter.
Leftovers can easily be reheated in the oven or in a skillet. But you can also eat them cold as a salad. Simply toss them with a vinaigrette or your favorite salad dressing.
If you want to add a little more flavor to these oven roasted Brussels sprouts, add chopped chili peppers, red pepper flakes, thyme, rosemary, or a spice of your choice. Once it’s out of the oven, you drizzle them with lemon juice, sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese, pomegranate seeds, or tahini (mixed with ice water and lemon juice) for a variation. If you love it tangy, add some balsamic vinegar.
You can find the quantities in the recipe.
- Brussels Sprouts → Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves to clean them.
- Garlic → For more flavor. Can be taken away after baking. If you want the garlic flavor a bit more intense, slice or finely chop the garlic cloves.
- Olive oil → For roasting! Sunflower oil or canola oil works too.
- Maple Syrup → Makes the somewhat bitter & tart flavor of the Brussels sprouts taste milder. Honey or brown sugar can be used as a substitute.
- Salt & Pepper → For seasoning.
Visual Step-by-Step Instructions
This visual step-by-step instruction will help you along the way – definitely recommended if you’re a cooking beginner! 😉
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Wash them thoroughly. Then, cut into halves.
- Mix halved Brussels sprouts with garlic cloves, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes until tender, turning twice.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Reheat in the oven or in a skillet. You can also use leftovers cold as a salad tossed with a mild vinaigrette or your preferred salad dressing.
More Vegetable Side Dishes
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- 1 lb (500 g) Brussels sprouts
- 2 cloves garlic halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
- Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Wash them thoroughly.
- Cut Brussels spouts in halves, and mix them with the garlic cloves, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turning twice.