Steamed asparagus with sauce hollandaise is a traditional spring dish in Switzerland and Germany. The asparagus season goes from the middle of April until the middle of June, so it’s quite short. This steamed asparagus recipes is simple and made in only 30 minutes. The great thing about cooking them in the steamer is that you can mix the white and green ones and steam them for the same time. But if you don’t like one sort, go ahead and make the recipe just with white or only with green asparagus. It will still be a delicious and healthy dish.
Have you ever made your own sauce hollandaise to your asparagus? Many people are afraid of making own sauces using raw eggs, but it’s not as difficult as everybody says. Why not just try it once? Make sure your water bath is not too hot, as you don’t want your egg yolks to be cooked. The sauce hollandaise is quite thick at the end, and it helped me to add in two ice cubes. They not only cool down your sauce and prevents the egg from cooking, but they also make your sauce smoother and more liquid which is perfect to serve. You cannot reheat this sauce, therefore make sure to make it fresh.
Steamed Asparagus with Sauce Hollandaise
- 500 g (500 g) green asparagus
- 500 g (500 g) white asparagus
- 2 (2 ) egg yolks
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) mustard
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 100 g (0.4 cups) butter, melted
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) white vinegar
- 2 (2 ) ice cubes
- salt & pepper
- Cut away the dry ends of the asparagus. Peel the white asparagus entirely, but leave out the heads. Peel the green asparagus only at the ends.
- Wash them and place on a steamer tray. Steam for 30 minutes at 96°C/205°F.
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- Set up a water bath and place a large bowl on top. Add the egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice in the bowl and mix until fluffy. The water bath should not be too hot. Otherwise, the eggs will get cooked, and you don't want that for your sauce hollandaise.
- Slowly pour in the melted butter and stir constantly. When the sauce starts to divide into two parts, stop to add more butter, mix until well combined, and then go ahead with adding the butter.
- Add two ice cubes and mix until your sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Season with one tablespoon white vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Serve your steamed asparagus immediately with the sauce hollandaise.