It’s long since I drunk my last hot chocolate, as my body often doesn’t tolerate cow milk and the traditional hot chocolate, as we know it here in Switzerland, is too sweet for me. If you have the same issues, this vegan hot chocolate is perfect for you.
As I am experimenting a lot with dates as a sugar substitute, I wanted to know how it works in hot chocolate. And I have to tell you it’s fantastic. It’s sweet, but not sugar sugar sweet (if that makes sense…it does to me) and makes the chocolate quit rich and creamy. So here is your Vegan Hot Chocolate!!!
I did it already a few times. It’s fantastic after dinner in the evening if you have this feeling that you need to eat something sweet. Do you know this feeling? Then just make this amazing Vegan Hot Chocolate and enjoy it in front of the tv, whilst reading a book or to feel a bit better if you once again have to work late and finish your paperwork after a stressful day.
Make sure to use a high quality cacao powder and use fresh medjool dates. Now it’s harvest time for dates, that means we can now buy the most fresh dates…yeah
Vegan Hot Chocolate
Rich and creamy hot chocolate with nut milk and dates - vegan and sweetened only with dates.
- 250 ml almond milk
- 2 Medjool dates thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- Take out the stones of the dates and slice them very thin.
- Add the milk, dates, cacao powder and cinnamon powder to a small pot over high heat.
- Wait till it starts to cook, then reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour it into a blender and blend very well until the hot chocolate is very smooth and creamy. Be careful, it's very hot.
- Enjoy your vegan hot chocolate in your preferred mug!