*This post may contain affiliate links.
This crispy vegan taco salad adds a little variety and tastes like a bowl of healthy nachos! With romaine lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, corn, onion, tortilla chips, and a creamy vegan yogurt dressing!
Taco salad is a Tex-Mex dish that was invented in Texas in the 1960s. The idea behind it is to combine delicious taco ingredients in a salad. There are several variations, most of them are made with beans and ground beef.
But let me show you how to make a very quick and vegan version of taco salad, also adaptable for vegetarians. It is very healthy, fresh, delicious, crunchy, and comes with an incredibly delicious creamy dressing.
This variation is not only meatless, but also a bit lighter and healthier than the usual taco salad. Fresh vegetables are used for this one. The whole thing is finished with a handful of crumbled tortilla chips, which makes for a very crunchy and flavorful bite.
For the dressing, I like to use a vegan yogurt dressing. Vegetarians can also make it vegetarian (you’ll find variations in the recipe).
See recipe card for quantities.
- Romaine Lettuce → The basis! Romaine lettuce has a great bite and therefore fits wonderfully. Iceberg lettuce or kale works too
- Avocado → Contains essential, healthy fats. Provides a creamy bite.
- Cherry Tomatoes → Or tomatoes of choice. Makes the salad a little juicier.
- Corn → Use cooked sweet canned corn.
- Red Onion → Shallot or green onion works too.
- Tortilla Chips → Makes for a great crunch! I like to use whole grain corn tortillas.
- Vegan Yogurt Dressing: vegan yogurt, vegan mayo, lime juice (or lemon juice), maple syrup, mustard, salt, pepper. Vegetarians are welcome to use the vegetarian version.
Feel free to add some chopped cilantro, grated garlic, bell pepper, black olives, red pepper flakes, or chili powder for more flavor.
If you like, you can pimp the salad with some protein. I like to suggest following vegan or vegetarian options:
- Beans (kidney beans or black beans)
- Brown Lentils or Lentil Taco Meat
- Vegan Taco Meat
- Vegan Minced Meat
- Vegan Chicken
- Vegan Cheese or Cheese (vegetarian)
- Eggs (vegetarian)
More Quick Salad Recipes
Vegan Taco Salad
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- 1 romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado in cubes
- 1 ½ cup (200 g) cherry tomatoes halved
- ⅔ cup (100 g) canned corn
- 1 red onion sliced
- a handful tortilla chips
- Roughly chop romaine lettuce, then wash and spin dry using a salad spinner. Cut avocado in cubes, cherry tomatoes in half, and onion in fine rings.
- Arrange the chopped ingredients in a large bowl, add canned corn, and crumble tortilla chips on top.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake well or whisk them together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately!