Is there anything better than a bowl of Spaghetti Pomodoro? This Italian classic is quick and easy to make and the perfect family meal!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 1 x 14.5 oz can (400g) whole peeled tomatoes or diced/crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper and roast for 3 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in the tomatoes, basil, red wine vinegar, and sugar. Reduce the heat to low and pop on a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes until the tomatoes have fallen apart.
Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and set aside.
Stir the drained pasta through the sauce. Sprinkle with the basil and serve with vegan parmesan.
- If the sauce gets too thick, add some pasta water.
- How long does it stay fresh? Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it keeps fresh for 3-4 days.
- Basil: I higly recommend using fresh basil for this recipe. However, if you are out of fresh basil, use dried basil or dried tyme instead.
- Can I replace canned whole peeled tomatoes? In my opinion, these are the star ingredients for the recipe. If you don’t have them at hand, you can replace them with tomato passata (finely strained tomatoes, canned) or a can diced tomatoes.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 91g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 307mg | Potassium: 688mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 580IU | Vitamin C: 24.7mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 3.5mg