Almond Crescent Cookies (German Vanillekipferl)
Vegan almond crescent cookies are one of the most loved German Christmas cookies ever! Let me show you how to make Vanillekipferl without eggs and dairy!
Mix flour, almond flour, powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, and salt in a bowl.
Add the butter in pieces and mix using a stand mixer or hand mixer until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
Use your hands to knead the crumbly mixture into a smooth dough and form into a ball. Wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. *see notes
Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the sugar topping in a small bowl.
Form & Bake
Preheat your oven to 355°F/180°C.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each into a rope of about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Divide each rope into ∼0.4 inches (1 cm) slices using a dough scraper or knife.
Roll each piece between your hands into a thin rope and form into a crescent.
Transfer them on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. They are good as soon as the ends start to turn into a very light brown, but the rest of the crescent is still white.
Place them on a cooling rack and sprinkle with the sugar coating (using a flour sifter or a small fine-mesh strainer) while still warm. → Place a clean parchment paper under the rack to collect and reuse any topping that didn’t stick on the cookies.
- Vanilla Sugar: Vanilla sugar is a very common Swiss/German baking product. If you don't have vanilla sugar, you can make your own by mixing 2 tbsp caster sugar with the scraped out seeds of one vanilla bean.
- Cooling Time: If you are in a hurry, store the dough for 15 minutes in the freezer instead of 1 hour in the refrigerator. Cold dough is much easier to form.
- Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Keeps fresh for at least one week.
- Sugar Coating: Sprinkle the cookies with the sugar coating while still warm to ensure that the coating sticks.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 73kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 53mg | Sugar: 2g