Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
These vegan mashed sweet potatoes are the healthier and somewhat sweeter variation of classic mashed potatoes! Orange, tasty, and healthy - that's how perfect dairy-free mashed sweet potatoes should be!
Cook Sweet Potatoes
- 2.2 lb sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
Cook Sweet Potatoes
Peel and wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly. Cut in equal big chunks.
Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add the salt, bring it to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft. They are ready when you can stick a knife into the middle of the sweet potatoes without any noticeable resistance.
Drain the sweet potatoes and leave them to sit for 5 minutes until the steam has evaporated.
Mash Sweet Potatoes
Heat the butter and milk in a small pot or microwave (should be hot but not cooking).
Transfer the hot potatoes in the bowl of a stand mixer and mash for one minute using the flat beater.
Pour in the warm butter-milk-mixture and mash for another minute until you have fluffy mashed potatoes.
Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder and serve warm.
- Sweetness: Mashed sweet potatoes are much sweeter than regular mashed potatoes and need enough salt to taste along with savory dishes. If you prefer it less sweet, use half sweet potatoes and half regular potatoes to prepare the mash.
- Don't have a stand mixer? Use a potato masher (see product recommendations). Transfer the hot potatoes back to the pot in which you cooked them in. Mash them using the potato masher and slowly add the butter-milk-mixture until you have fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Can I cook the sweet potatoes in advance? No. If you want a fluffy result, the potatoes need to be processed while hot.
- Can I prepare the mashed potatoes in advance? Yes, prepare it one day in advance and reheat it in a pot or microwave while stirring constantly. Add more oat milk if necessary.
- How long does it stay fresh? Stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator, it stays fresh for 3-4 days.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 1377mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 26g