Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
Perhaps the best vegan Mac and Cheese you will ever eat! Macaroni tossed with a creamy vegan cheese sauce and baked with a topping of crispy Panko breadcrumbs - plant-based comfort food at its highest level!
Preheat the oven to 395°F/200°C.
Cook the pasta in boiling salt water according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside. Don't overcook, the pasta will bake for an additional 10 minutes!
Heat the butter in a small saucepan. Add thyme and panko and roast until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
Meanwhile, add all ingredients for the cheese sauce to a blender and blend until creamy.
Toss pasta with cheese sauce and pour into a baking dish (6 x 9 inches | 15 x 23cm). Sprinkle with the toasted panko breadcrumbs.
Bake it for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. The vegan cheese sauce thickens quite a bit during baking.
I love to eat this Mac and Cheese straight out of the baking dish. Enjoy!
- Cashew Nuts: It's not necessary to soak the cashew nuts if you have a high-speed blender. However, if you have a lower quality blender, soak them for about 10 minutes in boiling water (cook some more pasta water and carefully pour it over the cashews once boiling).
- Pasta: I love using shells to make this recipe. They are randomly filled with awesome tasty cheese sauce. Other pasta to use: Elbow Macaroni, Pipe Rigate, Cellentani.
- Panko: I highly recommend using panko for this recipe. Those Japanese breadcrumbs are coarser and crispier than regular breadcrumbs. However, if you don't have panko at hand, replace it with regular breadcrumbs.
- Keeps fresh for 2 days. Store it in an airtight container or in the with plastic wrap covered baking dish (easiest to reheat) in the refrigerator.
- Reheat: 10 min in the preheated oven (395°F/200°C).
Calories: 817kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 50g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 34g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 1405mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 5g