Vegan Potato Salad
The world's best vegan potato salad with vinegar, oil, and dill! This German potato salad without mayo is easy to make and tastes simply delicious!
Servings 2 -4
- 14 oz baby potatoes or regular potatoes
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp dill dried or fresh, use 1 tsp if you love lots of dill
- ½ tsp salt or more to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper or more to taste
Wash the potatoes thoroughly, place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring it to the boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft. They are ready when you can stick a knife into the middle of the potatoes without any noticeable resistance.
Drain the potatoes, cut (while still hot) in slices or bite-size pieces, and mix with vegetable broth. Let it sit, toss a few times, until the potatoes have absorbed most of the vegetable broth. → It's important that you work quickly, the potatoes need to be warm in order to absorb the vegetable broth.
Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the dressing.
As soon as the potatoes have absorbed most of the vegetable broth, toss it with the dressing and finely chopped shallots. Add more dill if desired. You can either serve the potato salad immediately or allow to chill for up to a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Make Ahead: This potato salad is excellent to prepare up to one day in advance. Stored it, tossed with the dressing, in an airtight container and allow to warm for a few minutes at room temperature before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored for 1-2 day in the refrigerator.
- Add Extra Flavor: You can add chopped sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives to add some variation.
- Baby Potatoes: I love to use small baby potatoes to make this recipe, they are so flavorful. But feel free to use any kind of potatoes.
- Vegetable Broth: This is a typical Swiss way to make potato salad. The still warm potatoes absorb the broth, which leaves them with a beautiful flavor. If you want to use precooked potatoes for this recipe, reheat them in the microwave prior tossing them with the broth.
- Peel Potatoes? If you wash the potatoes thoroughly prior to cooking cooking, it's not necessary to peel them and I personally prefer unpeeled potatoes. However, feel free to peel the potatoes if you prefer them peeled for you salad. If so, peel them while still hot after you drained them.
- Do you prefer creamy potato salad? Add some vegan mayo to your dressing!
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 742mg | Potassium: 877mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Vitamin C: 40mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 2mg