Vegetarian Spaghetti Carbonara
Creamy vegetarian carbonara served with spaghetti and smoky mushrooms. Plus, a secret tip how to make this vegetarian carbonara sauce recipe smell like the original one with bacon.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups (200g) mushroom button mushroom, king oyster mushroom
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oil coconut oil, peanut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup or another liquid sweetener
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp ground smoked paprika or regular ground paprika
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup (60ml) heavy cream
- ⅓ cup (40g) grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tbsp chives minced
- salt, pepper, nutmeg for seasoning
Peel and mince the onion and garlic. Cut the mushrooms in slices. Heat a non-stick frying pan, add the butter, onion, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix all the spices for the smoked mushroom sauce and add it with the mushrooms to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are light brown and have soaked up all the sauce.
When the mushrooms are ready, switch off the heat, add the spaghetti and carbonara sauce. Leave it in the pan for about 2 minutes and stir constantly. When the sauce starts to thicken, your pasta is ready.
- Make sure to buy vegetarian parmesan if you are following a strict vegetarian diet.
- Use any of your favorite mushrooms to prepare this recipe.
- Eat your pasta fresh the day you make them. If you reheat them, the egg gets cooked, and it doesn't taste the same. Still delicious, but not as creamy as eaten fresh.
Calories: 848kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 40g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 249mg | Sodium: 1471mg | Potassium: 901mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1240IU | Vitamin C: 8.9mg | Calcium: 268mg | Iron: 3.5mg