Butternut Squash Curry
Probably the best butternut squash curry recipe you can dream of! A healthy, vegan, and utterly delicious fall favorite with beautiful flavors!
Servings 4 Portions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 scallions or 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups Butternut Squash cubed
- 1 carrot sliced
- 2 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 15oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- a splash lemon juice or lime juice
Cook the rice according to the package instructions. → I only cook my rice in a rice cooker! Makes truly the best rice!
Heat a large pot or wok with olive oil. Add minced scallion, garlic, and ginger and sauté for one minute. Add butternut squash and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes over medium.
Add curry paste and ground turmeric, stir-fry for one minute. Pour in coconut milk and water and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
Add bell pepper, peanut butter, soy sauce, and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes, or longer, until the vegetables are as soft as you like them. Feel free to season with more soy sauce.
Serve the curry along with rice and top it off with toasted almonds and cilantro.
- Leftovers can be stored for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Reheat in a pot over medium heat or in the microwave.
- Kids? Use only 1 tbsp curry paste to make it less spicy for the little ones.
- Tastes the best with butternut squash, however, the recipe works with all edible winter squashes. Make sure to cook it until soft and tender.
- Substitute carrot and bell pepper with vegetables of choice. Add vegetables that need longer to cook (such as broccoli, cauliflower) with the pumpkin, and watery vegetables (such as zucchini, spinach) with the peanut butter.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 511mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 12161IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2mg