Eggplant Parmesan - Parmigiana di Melanzane
Italian Eggplant Parmesan is the ultimate vegetarian, low-carb comfort food recipe! Think of it as lasagna made with sliced eggplant instead of pasta!
- 2 large eggplants or 3 medium eggplants, approx. 2 lb/900g
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 ½ cup mozzarella diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 x 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ bunch basil leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Thinly slice eggplant lengthwise. Rub with 2 tsp salt, place in a colander, and set aside for 30-60 minutes to drain off excess water. → Aim for 60 minutes, but 30 minutes will do if you are hungry. 😉
Rinse eggplant under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
Baking Eggplant - Option 1
Preheat oven to 430°F (220°C) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Arrange eggplant in a single layer on the baking sheets, brush with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, and bake for 20 minutes until browning, flipping the eggplant halfway.
Frying Eggplant - Option 2
Heat a pot with olive oil. Add minced onion and garlic, sauté until translucent and fragrant. Add canned tomatoes, basil leaves, and oregano. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Blend tomato sauce with an immersion blender. → It doesn't need to be totally smooth. Some chunks are welcome!
Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).
Spoon a thin layer of tomato sauce into a baking dish. Top with a single layer of eggplant, tomato sauce, grated parmesan cheese, and diced mozzarella. Repeat layers until you run out of eggplant, finishing with sauce, parmesan cheese, and mozzarella.
Bake for 30 minutes. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Baking Eggplant vs Frying Eggplant: Baking eggplant is a little easier, but frying them will make up for a better taste. Go for the baking method if unsure, but if you have time and don't mind that your house will be a little smelly, fry them. 😉
- Keeps fresh for 3-4 days. Store it in an airtight container, or simply wrap the cold baking dish with plastic wrap (easiest to reheat), in the refrigerator.
- Reheat for 20 minutes in the preheated oven 355°F (180°C).
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 1222mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 393IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 362mg | Iron: 1mg