Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Perhaps the best vegan pumpkin Mac and Cheese you will ever eat! Macaroni tossed with a creamy vegan pumpkin cheese sauce and sprinkled with fragrant panko-sage breadcrumbs – plant-based comfort food at its highest level!
Mac and Cheese
- 10.5 oz macaroni or short pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sage fresh or dried
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
Cook the pasta in boiling salt water according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add sage and panko and toast until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
Meanwhile, add all ingredients for the pumpkin cheese sauce to a blender and blend until creamy.
Add cooked macaroni and pumpkin cheese sauce back into the pot and toss to combine for one minute over medium heat. Season to taste with additional salt & black pepper. → The pumpkin sauce thickens quite a bit once hot! Feel free to add vegan cheese, yet it’s not necessary as the sauce is already super creamy!
Sprinkle with the toasted panko breadcrumbs. Enjoy!
- Cashew Nuts: It’s not necessary to soak the cashew nuts if you have a high-speed blender. However, if you have a lower quality blender, soak them for about 10 minutes in boiling water.
- Panko: I highly recommend using panko for this recipe. Those Japanese breadcrumbs are coarser and crispier than regular breadcrumbs. However, if you don’t have panko at hand, replace it with regular breadcrumbs.
- Keeps fresh for 3 days. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in a pot over medium heat and add some water to liquify the sauce.
- Freeze the pumpkin cheese sauce for up to 3 months.
- Love baked macaroni and cheese? Toss cooked pasta with pumpkin cheese sauce and pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle with the toasted panko breadcrumbs and bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven (395°F/200°C).
Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 92g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 830mg | Potassium: 584mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 12827IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 4mg