Vegan Zopf Bread – Swiss Braided Bread
This vegan zopf bread, also called Swiss braided bread, is made with an overnight poolish and therefore extra fluffy. It's best if you enjoy the most popular Swiss bread for breakfast or brunch.
Servings 2 braided breads
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbs (100ml) unsweetened soymilk room temperature
- 5/4 cup (150g) zopf flour 90% all purpose flour & 10% spelt flour
- 1 tsp (3g) fresh yeast or 1/4 tsp instant | active-dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7/8 cup (210ml) unsweetened soymilk warm
- 1/2 tbs (8g) fresh yeast or 3/4 tsp instant | active-dry yeast
- 2 3/4 cups (350g) zopf flour 90% all purpose flour & 10% spelt flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup (30g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60g) margarine or plant-based butter
Vegan Egg Wash
- 2 tbs unsweetened soymilk
- 1 tbs agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 pinch ground turmeric optional
Dough & Braiding
Next morning: Take the poolish out of the fridge and leave at room temperature for one hour. Heat up the milk to lukewarm and mix with the yeast. Add all ingredients (except for margarine) into your kitchen machine and knead for 10 minutes at the lowest speed.
Add the margarine and knead for another 10 minutes at speed level one. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and leave to rise for 1.5 h at room temperature.
Divide the dough into 4 equal heavy pieces (take the kitchen scale for this). Form into balls (don't flour the working surface) and let them sit for 10 minutes.
Form into long loaves and roll out to ~18 inches long ropes. Braid every two ropes into a zopf (see video) and transfer on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet. -> The recipe is for two small braided bread.
"Egg" Wash & Baking
Mix all ingredients for the egg wash, brush the zopf with it, and cover with a larg bowl or casserole (only if possible). Leave them to rise for another 30 minutes. Start now with preheating your oven to 200°C/395°F.
After 30 minutes, brush the zopf again and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool down on a cooling rack.
- The recipe is for two small braided bread. If you prefer, you can make one large out of it. I always freeze one right after baking.
- Use fresh yeast if possible.
- If you don't have spelt flour, only use all-purpose flour.
- I recommend using unsweetened soy milk. However, if you only find sweetened soy milk, leave out the sugar in the recipe.
Calories: 1244kcal | Carbohydrates: 210g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 2091mg | Potassium: 477mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1395IU | Calcium: 239mg | Iron: 12.7mg