Braided Nutella Bread
Chocolate, hazelnuts, and the fluffiest bread dough combined – that’s the ultimate braided Nutella bread!
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
- ⅝ cup (150ml) lukewarm soymilk unsweetened
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- 0.4 oz (10g) fresh yeast or 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.5 lemon only zest
- 3 tbsp (45g) margarine or vegan butter
- ½ cup (150g) Nutella or vegan chocolate spread
- ¼ cup (40g) hazelnuts roasted & chopped
Bread Wash - Optional
- 1 tbsp soymilk
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or maple syrup
Mix lukewarm soy milk, sugar, and yeast in a little bowl and leave it for 5 minutes until foaming. Add it with the flour, salt, vanilla extract, and lemon zest to your kitchen machine. Knead for 5 minutes at a low-speed.
Add the margarine and knead for another 10 minutes at medium speed, until you have a soft dough which comes away easily from the bowl. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and leave to rise for 1.5 hours at room temperature.
Fill & Form
Meanwhile, roast the hazelnuts in a pan for 5 minutes until golden. Chop them roughly.
Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a long rectangle (10"x16" | 25cm x 40cm). Spread evenly with Nutella and leave ~0.5"/1cm border uncovered. Top with the roasted hazelnuts.
Tightly roll it into a log, cut lengthwise in half, and twist into a braided bread.
Carefully transfer the braided bread into a with parchment paper lined loaf pan (US: 10″x5″ | Europe: 25cm). Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise for another hour at room temperature (or overnight in the fridge).
Bake: Preheat your oven to 395°F/200°C. Brush the bread with the bread wash and bake it for 30 minutes in the oven until golden.
Let it cool down for 15 minutes on a wire rack before slicing.
- You can use any unsweetened plant-based milk for this recipe. If you only have sweetened milk, use less sugar for the recipe.
- Don't worry if the bread doesn't fill the loaf pan entirely, it will rise during baking.
- The bread tastes best when fresh, but you can store it covered for up to two days at room temperature or freeze it up to 3 months.
- Vegan version: Use plant-based chocolate spread instead of Nutella.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 476mg | Potassium: 234mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 5.3mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 3.5mg