Vegan Easter Bunny Rolls
These vegan Easter bunny rolls will be the star at your Easter brunch with family and friends. Bunny bread rolls are sweet, fluffy, and super cute!
- 2 cup (250g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ tbsp (10g) fresh yeast or 1 tsp active dry yeast
- ⅝ cup (150ml) lukewarm soymilk unsweetened
- 1 tbsp (15g) sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ cup (30g) plant-based margarine or plant-based butter
Bread Wash & Poppy Seeds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened soymilk
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
Mix the yeast with the lukewarm soymilk and sugar in a little bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes until foaming. Knead it with the flour and salt at low speed for 5 minutes in your kitchen machine.
Add the margarine and knead for another 5-10 minutes at medium speed, until you have a smooth dough which doesn't stick to the bowl. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise for 1.5 hours at room temperature (or overnight in the fridge → see notes).
Divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Shape them into rectangles. Cut away a little piece of dough (~0.5″/1cm) from each one and shape them into a small ball → this will be the tail. Roll out each rectangle in a long rope (~12″/30cm).
Shape them into a small rabbit (see here for step-by-step pictures) and decorate with the tail. Transfer them on a with parchment paper lined baking tray.
Mix the soymilk and agave syrup and brush each bunny with it. Let them rise for another 30 minutes at room temperature. Start preheating your oven to 395°F/200°C.
- The recipe is for 4 bunny rolls, double the recipe to make 8.
- Substitute soy milk with any plant-based milk.
- Prepare the dough (Step 1&2 ) in the evening and let it rise overnight in the fridge (instead of 1.5 h at room temperature). The next morning, start with step 3.
Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 642mg | Potassium: 144mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 3.4mg