How To Make Sushi Rice (Perfect Every Time)
Learn how to make sushi rice in a rice cooker perfectly every single time! You are only a few steps away from perfect sushi rice and, thus, delicious homemade sushi rolls!
Servings 4 (4-8 Sushi Rolls)
Place the sushi rice in a large bowl and wash the rice under running cold water until the water comes out clear. → Move the rice in a circular rotation using your hand to speed up this process.
Carefully discard the water (use a sieve if you want) and generously fill the bowl with fresh cold water. Let the rice soak for 30 minutes.
Drain over a sieve, place the rice in a rice cooker, add 2 ⅓ cups of water, and switch on the rice cooker.
Once cooked, switch off the rice cooker (unplug if necessary, don't leave it in the "warm" mode) and leave the rice for another 30-45 minutes in the rice cooker with the lid on. → This step can be skipped if in a hurry, but it does make a distinguishable difference!
Meanwhile, add rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, switch off the heat, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
Place the sushi rice in a large bowl, pour over the hot vinegar mixture, and toss until well combined. Cover with a damp tea towel and let it cool to room temperature before using it for sushi.
- If you are a sushi beginner, I ONLY recommend making sushi rice using a rice cooker! Don't try it on the stove, or you are going to give up on homemade sushi! You don't need a fancy rice cooker, the simple 20 USD ones are sufficient.
- Smaller Portion? You can also cook only half the amount of rice, therefore, add 1 ¼ cup (300ml) cold water to the rice cooker! → The rice-water ratio is a little different for a smaller amount of rice if using a rice cooker.
- Once the rice is cooked, avoid any metal-spoon or metal-bowl as it would react with the vinegar. Use a wooden spoon or the plastic spatula of your rice cooker and a glass, wood, or ceramic bowl.
- The rice is sufficient for approx. 4 large or 8 small sushi rolls. I do prefer smaller sushi rolls and thus make 8 rolls with this amount of rice.
- How much rice per person? I usually serve this amount of rice for 4 people. If you are a good eater, the amount in the recipe might only be sufficient for 2 people (very large portions).
- How long does it keep fresh? Sushi rice is better when eaten fresh. However, you can keep leftovers for up to 3 days if stored in the fridge. I don't suggest using refrigerated sushi rice to make sushi, but you can use leftovers to make poke bowls.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 594mg | Potassium: 53mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg