Homemade Pretzel Bites are perfect for your next party or as an appetizer with family and friends. The recipe is close to the common pretzel from Germany, they are just smaller in its size which makes them perfect to snack.
The easiest way to make little pretzel bites is by forming rolls like on the picture below and cut them with a dough scraper or a knife.
Pretzel Dough Rolls
Pretzel Dough Bites before cooking
If the pretzel bites are formed, you have to cook them in hot water with baking soda. This procedure is the reason they turn into pretzels. Sprinkle them with salt or a mixture of black and white sesame. Enjoy your homemade pretzel bites with your beloved ones.
Homemade Pretzel Bites
Water & Baking Soda Mixture
- 1.2 liter (4.8 cups) water
- 50 g (0.4 cups) baking soda
- 1 (1 ) egg
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) milk
- sea salt black & white sesame
- Add the flour, salt, malt powder and fresh yeast in a bowl of a kitchen machine and mix them.
- Add the milk, water, and butter to the rest and mix at low spell until well combined. Now, knead your dough for 5 minutes at speed level one.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise at room temperature for one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Place your dough on a well-floured working surface and cut into 5-6 long pieces. Form each of them until you have a nice roll.
- Using a dough scraper, cut them into about 2cm/1 inch pieces.
- In a large pot, bring 1.2 liters of water to a boil. Switch off the stove and add the baking soda. Don't add all at once; it has the same effect as when you put mentos in your coca cola (if you have ever done that as a kid).
- Place 3-4 dough pieces into the water-baking-soda mixture and let it boil for 20 seconds (Suggestion: Work with a large slotted spoon and a timer next to the pot). Take them out and place them on a with baking paper lined baking sheet. Make sure they don't touch each other. I used two baking sheets.
- Repeat this step until you have boiled all dough pieces.
- Mix the egg and milk and brush the dough pieces with it. Sprinkle with sea salt or white and black sesame.
- Bake them for 15 minutes in the oven and let them cool down on a cooling rack. If you have two baking sheets, bake one after the other.
- The pretzel bites taste the best if eaten within one day.