Poached eggs in a spicy tomato sauce, served with warm bread – that’s Shakshuka!
Shakshuka is a traditional recipe of the Arab cuisine. This traditional breakfast recipe bursts with flavor! It’s served directly in the pan with warm bread. I love the tradition to place it in the middle of the dining table, and everybody eats from the same plate with your hands, using the bread as your cutlery.
The use of spicy harissa, mint, and cumin gives this dish the typical and delicious taste which makes it so unique. You can either make it with canned or fresh tomatoes, I do love the later option!
I love to serve Shakshuka with this Homemade Pita Bread or Turkish Pide Bread! But you can use all kind of bread, simply pick your favorite one and make it warm and crispy in your toaster or oven before serving it.
As you serve it directly in your pan, the shakshuka will keep the temperature quite long, therefore keep in mind the eggs will still cook a little more and reduce the cooking time if you love them runny
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:
Did You Try This Recipe?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
ShakshukaLeave a Review Print Pin
- Cook the olive oil, minced garlic, and onion for 2 minutes in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Mix in the paste and spices. Add the tomato, mint, and water and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make three holes into the tomato sauce and place an egg in each one. Lower the temperature so that the eggs just cook, but the sauce doesn’t splash. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the eggs have the consistency you desire.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve the shakshuka with warm bread and eat it straight out of the pan using the bread and your hands.
- I used a pan size of 24cm/9.5inch which is perfect for 3 eggs. If you double or half the portion of the recipe, also use a larger or smaller pot.
- The serving size is for one woman and one man – when you have a small appetite, it’s also sufficient for three people.