No doubt, this is the perfect homemade pizza recipe. A super thin and crispy crust, topped with a simple tomato sauce, mozzarella di Buffalo, and fresh basil leaves. Like you would eat it in the heart of Italy.
Trust me when I am saying, this recipe took me a few months to create. It was not only in your best interest but also in mine, to create the perfect homemade pizza recipe. From different dough variations over various type of sauce and baking ways, I tried everything. Now, the thing is, it’s not necessary to make a 24-hour dough which has to rise in your fridge overnight (recommended by a lot of Italians). Important is the way how you bake it.
Look how thin the crust is
The Perfect Homemade Pizza
The dough for this pizza recipe is very simple and has to rise for only 90 minutes. Also, the sauce is done in under 5 minutes, no cooking needed.
Now, one of the important steps is to preheat your oven very well to the maximum temperature, which is 230°C/445°F for mine. The pizza stone needs to be preheated too. If you don’t have one, it doesn’t matter. I don’t have one either. Instead, use a baking tray which you place conversely in the middle of your oven -> this will be your new pizza stone for the future. Your very thin rolled out dough will be baked for 5 minutes on it, without any toppings. This allows the crust to build the well-known bubbles and makes the crust perfect. Take it out, add the sauce and mozzarella di Buffalo, and bake your pizza just until the cheese has melted, which takes about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves, and you will be in the pizza heaven.
- 1 ½ (150 g) mozarella, in cubes
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Prepare Pizza Dough: Mix all-purpose flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add lukewarm water and olive oil and knead for 5-10 minutes at low speed until you have a smooth dough.
- Grease a large bowl with 1 tsp olive oil, place the dough in it, cover with a damp kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Prepare Pizza Sauce: Meanwhile, mix all ingredient for the pizza sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat Oven: Place a pizza stone or a baking sheet (top side down) on the center rack of the oven and preheat to 445°F (230°C) for 30 minutes.
- Assemble Pizza: Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, divide into two equal parts, and form each into a ball. Roll them out into a thin circle using a rolling pin.
- Transfer one dough onto a parchment paper. Spread with half of the pizza sauce and evenly distribute half of the mozzarella over the pizza.
- Place it on the preheated pizza stone or baking sheet and bake for ∼10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust golden brown.
- Remove carefully from the oven, sprinkle with fresh basil, drizzle with olive oil if desired, and serve immediately.