Read in: Deutsch
Vegan Tofu Sweet and Sour – crispy fried tofu tossed with an incredibly delicious sticky sweet and sour sauce, pineapple, and bell pepper!
This easy and quick tofu sweet and sour recipe makes a perfect vegan Asian dinner for the entire family – also suitable for meatless Mondays or dinner dates!
If you landed on this recipe, chances are high that at some point, you have been enjoying a sweet and sour dish at your preferred Chinese restaurant. Thus you know that the sauce is incomparable. It’s packed with flavor, sweet yet sour at the same time, sticky, thick, and snuggles perfectly with tofu.
Good news, it can be done at home! It’s, in fact, quite easy to make with only a handful of ingredients. I love to toss the sauce with crispy fried tofu, which makes an outstanding vegan dish and provides a good portion of protein.
Clearly, though, you can pair the sauce with a protein of your choice, such as vegan chicken or vegan beef alternatives.
Last but not least, add in fresh pineapple pieces for a fruity and fresh taste and a handful of chopped bell pepper.
Sweet and Sour Tofu Recipe
Read through this visual step-by-step guide with lots of extra tips! The exact quantities and everything else you need to know for the recipe can be found in the recipe card below.
Making Tofu Tasty & Crispy
- Remove excess liquid (with kitchen paper or a tofu press) → This is a must that the tofu can better absorb the marinade, in this case, cornstarch. Start with firm tofu, which contains the least amount of excess water.
- Cut into cubes and cover with cornstarch (add both in a jar and shake it, baby 😉) → Cornstarch makes tofu crispy!
- Heat a skillet with oil over high heat, add the tofu, and fry for 5-10 minutes until crispy.
How To Make Vegan Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Heat a skillet with ½ tablespoon oil. Add bell pepper and pineapple and stir-fry for five minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sweet & sour sauce.
- Add it to the skillet and cook while constantly stirring until thickened (~ 1-2 minutes). → Add more water if the sauce turns out too thick!
- Add tofu and stir well.
- Serve over rice! Feel free to sprinkle with sesame seeds and finely sliced scallions.
Recipe FAQ & Tips
How long does it stay fresh? Leftovers can be stored for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Low FODMAP: This recipe is suitable for a low FODMAP diet (one portion per day). Go for red bell pepper.
Do you have a gluten intolerance? Use tamari (gluten-free soy sauce).
More Asian Tofu Recipes You’ll Love:
Did You Try This Recipe?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more free recipes! I would be thrilled to welcome you to my community!
Sweet and Sour Tofu
- ⅔ cup (130 g) basmati rice or up to 1 cup (200g) for a larger portion
- 7 oz (200 g) firm tofu
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- ½ bell pepper cut into 1” (2.5cm) cubes
- ½ cup (90 g) pineapple pieces
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- ¼ cup (50 g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp pineapple juice from the pineapple can – omit if you use fresh pineapple
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- Rice: Cook the rice according to the package instructions. → I only cook rice in a rice cooker! Makes truly the best rice!
- Tofu: Cover the tofu in a paper towel and press to remove excess water (or use a tofu press). Cut the tofu into cubes, place them with the cornstarch in a container, and shake well until the tofu is fully covered.
- Heat a skillet with one tablespoon oil over high heat, add the tofu, and fry for 5-10 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- Sweet & Sour Sauce: Heat a skillet with ½ tablespoon oil. Add bell pepper and pineapple and stir-fry for five minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the sweet & sour sauce. Add it to the skillet and cook while constantly stirring until thickened (~ 1-2 minutes). → Add more water if the sauce turns out too thick!
- Add tofu and stir well. Serve over rice! Feel free to sprinkle with sesame seeds and finely sliced scallions.
Leave a Reply