Read in: Deutsch
This udon stir fry is incredibly delicious and made in such a short time. I like to call it the perfect Japanese dinner recipe.
Vegan Stir Fry Noodles
A vegan Japanese recipe which is worth to have in your recipe collection. Udon noodles are mostly used for Ramen, but I found this udon stir fry is another excellent way to incorporate more plant-based meals into everyday life.
Udon noodles are thick, soak up a lot of sauce, and therefore couldn’t be more perfect for a delicious vegan udon noodle stir fry. Plus, you can slurp them up like the Japanese do! Did you know that this is the way Japanese actually show that a meal is tasty? 🙂
This quick udon stir fry is easy to make in just under 30 minutes and therefore an excellent recipe for busy weeknights or quick lunch dates. I love to serve them with fresh shiitake mushrooms and broccoli, but you can easily use any kind of veggies.
How To Make Udon Noodle Stir Fry?
- Udon Noodles: There are two ways, either you make your own udon noodles according to this recipe, or you use store-bought ones. Homemade udon noodles are so much better, but they are time intensive to make. Don’t worry if you don’t have the time, you can find fresh udon noodles in every Asian shop.
- Fry your veggies for a few minutes in a skillet until lightly brown.
- Add in your noodles and toss it with the vegan stir fry sauce made of soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sambal
oelek, and brown sugar.
- Top them with sesame seeds before serving.
- Use dried shiitake mushrooms instead of fresh ones.
- Substitute broccoli with veggie leftovers or your preferred veggies such as carrots, bell pepper, beans. Don’t use vegetables with a lot of water such as cucumber or tomatoes.
- Don’t like sesame seeds? Leave them out – you can see in the picture below how udon stir fry looks without them! Still mouthwatering, doesn’t it?
More Plant-based Asian Recipes
- Tofu Banh Mi Sandwich
- Vegan Dumplings with Tofu
- Homemade Sushi with Rice Paper
- All Asian Recipes (vegetarian & vegan)
Udon Stir Fry
- 2 servings udon noodles
- 2.5 cups (200g) broccoli florets
- 1 cup (70g) fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Stir Fry Sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar or mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sambal oelek or sriracha
- Make the udon noodles according to this recipe or use storebought ones and prepare according to the label.
- Heat a skillet with some oil and cook the broccoli florets, shiitake, ginger, and garlic for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the stir fry sauce. Add it with the udon noodles and scallions to the skillet. Cook everything while continually stirring for 1 minute. Top it with sesame seeds before serving.
Wow! I tried it, and everyone at home loved it, including my 2 toddlers.
Thank you so much!
Aline Cueni says
So happy everyone loved the recipe, Janice! 💕