Read in: Deutsch
Easter is coming soon, and you have to make this carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for your family. Inside super moist because of the use of unsweetened applesauce and very creamy on the outside due to the cream cheese frosting. And the highlight of this carrot cake is when you cut it, as it looks gorgeous with the two layers. In fact, it’s not too complicated to make a two-layered cake. Just try it out, and you will be surprised.
Such a sweet beauty
You can use storebought applesauce for this recipe or make your own at home. I prefer to make my own one as I then can choose the kind of apples I want and am sure that it’s unsweetened. The cake has already enough calories, trust me. Have a look at my recipe for steamed applesauce.
The carrot cake has to be even on top, which is not always the case after baking. Therefore cut away the uneven parts with a sharp bread knife. Otherwise, the second layer is not very stable, and you don’t want to fall it down. Don’t throw the remaining parts away, serve it for example as a cake in a glass jar and try how your carrot cake with cream cheese frosting tastes before your guests are coming.
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 160 g butter
- 300 g cream cheese
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/355°F conventional.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Roast the pecan nuts over medium heat and chop them afterward. Set aside.
- Add the oil, applesauce, sugar, and vanilla extract in a kitchen machine and mix for one minute.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time.
- Add the shredded carrots and chopped pecan nuts.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon powder, and salt until the carrot cake is well combined.
- Line a 22 cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- Divide your batter into two parts, using a kitchen scale. Pour one half into your lined cake pan and bake it for 35 minutes in the middle of your preheated oven. Take it out and transfer it to a cooling rack. Line your cake pan again with baking paper and bake the second half for 35 minutes in the oven.If you have two cake pans at home, you can bake both at the same time. Otherwise, it works the best as described above using baking paper.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- While your cake is cooling down, prepare the cream cheese frosting.Cook the butter over medium heat until it turns light brown. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Mix the butter with the cream cheese in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract, salt, and icing sugar and mix until you have a smooth cream.
- Both carrot cakes should be even on the bottom and top. As this will most likely not be the case after baking, you have to cut your top part of the cake away till it's even. This works best with a sharp bread knife. You can make the test if they are even enough if you place one cake on the other 🙂
- Now, place one cake on a plate and top it with about 1/3 of the frosting. Spread it even with a baking spatula.
- Place the second cake on top and repeat the procedure. Spread the rest of the frosting around the cake until you only see the cream cheese frosting and nothing from the carrot cake anymore. You can decorate it with some pecan nuts.
- Store your cake in your fridge until you serve it.