*This post may contain affiliate links.
Is there anything better than homemade baked french fries which are crispy and golden brown? Let me show you how to make the best homemade french fries in the oven with only a small amount of oil.
These homemade baked french fries are super crispy and can be done in under one hour. Choose the best potatoes and season them with your preferred french fries seasoning.
Advantages of Baked French Fries
- Baking french fries
ishealthier than frying them. You only need about two tablespoons of olive oil for this recipe.
- Using fresh potatoes and making french fries from scratch is more delicious and better for your body than baking the store-bought frozen ones.
- There is minimal effort to make homemade baked french fries – once they are in the oven, you have plenty of time to prepare the main dish.
What To Consider When Making Homemade French Fries
- Use starchy potatoes which are high in starch and low in moisture such as Russet or Idaho.
- The oven has to be super hot – therefore start preheating when you start cutting the potatoes.
- Use a crinkle cutter for extra crispy french fries. The unique cut gives them a larger surface which makes them crispier when baked in the oven
. Onlymake as much as you are going to eat. They start to get soggy after a few hours.
- You don’t need to peel them if using organic potatoes.
How To Make French Fries
- Cut the potatoes in about 1cm/0.4inch thick strips. Try to cut them as even as possible – this helps that the french fries will be all golden brown baked at the same time. I used a crinkle cutter which gives the french fries an extra surface to get even crispier. But you can also use a regular knife.
- Wash them with cold water. Bring a pot of water to the boil, place the potatoes in a bowl, pour the boiling water over, and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them using a kitchen towel or paper towel.
- Add oil and salt and mix using your hands.
- Place them on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 230°C/445°F. Flip them after 15 minutes for an even browning.
What To Serve With Baked French Fries?
- Vegan Kale Salad with Walnuts and Figs
- Grilled Vegetables
- Burger and Sandwiches
Homemade Baked French Fries
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- 2.2 lbs (1kg) organic potatoes see notes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 230°C/445°F. Peel the potatoes if using non-organic ones. Cut the potatoes into 1cm/0.4inch thick strips.
- Wash them under cold water and transfer to a bowl. Bring a pot water to the boil, pour it over the potatoes, and let them soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them using a kitchen towel or kitchen paper. Mix them with the olive oil and salt.
- Place on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven until golden brown. Flip them after 15 minutes for an even browning.
- Use starchy potatoes like Russet or Idaho.
- You don’t need to peel the potatoes if using organic ones.
- Use a crinkle cutter for extra crispy french fries.
- Add your preferred seasonings like ground paprika, garlic powder, or dried herbs.