This red cabbage slaw with peanut dressing is a vegan and healthy superstar for your next BBQ party. Great to serve along with roasted vegetables. Furthermore, it’s a great and simple salad to make ahead.
Do you know this feeling if you are buying a whole head of red cabbage, which is enormous, and only need a tiny bit for your sandwich or summer rolls? Therefore I want to show you another way to use red cabbage. Combine it with a peanut dressing, and you have the perfect red cabbage slaw. I love to bring it to one of these parties where everybody has to bring a salad. The chances that somebody else brings a red cabbage slaw with peanut dressing is very low, as most of the people bring the well-known salads like pasta, rice, or quinoa salad. Be the superstar under the salad makers and show your friends something new.
For this recipe, it’s a huge benefit if you have a food processor. Not only to easily shred your cabbage but also to make the peanut dressing. BUT I know not everybody has one at home and therefore I suggest you use peanut butter for the dressing instead of whole peanuts.
Red Cabbage Slaw with Peanut Dressing
- 500 g (5.6 cups) red cabbage (about ½ head), shredded
- 50 g (0.3 cups) unsalted peanuts, chopped & roasted
- Thinly shred the red cabbage using a food processor or a sharp knife. Set aside.
- Chop the peanuts and roast them until golden in a pan. Set aside.
- Add all ingredients for the peanut dressing to a food processor and blend until you have a creamy sauce. I like if the dressing is still a bit crunchy and therefore don't mix it super smooth.
- Mix the shredded cabbage with the peanut dressing and top it with the chopped and roasted peanuts.
- You can serve your red cabbage slaw immediately or leave it in your fridge for a few hours until serving. It's a great salad to make ahead and bring with you to a party.
- If you don't have a food processor, use peanut butter for the dressing.