Wild garlic pesto is a great way to conserve wild garlic to enjoy it a few weeks more. You can find wild garlic during March until May in the forest in Switzerland. These three months can vary according to the weather, but start to look for it when spring is just coming, and it’s still cold outside. Make a little hike on your weekend with your family, take a plastic bag in your backpack, and look for this green leaves in mother nature. I prefer to go a bit further into the forest and just take the wild garlic off from the walkway, as I do not like dogs pipi in my food.
If you have never before collected wild garlic by yourself, make sure you know which one it is. It’s often mixed up with toxic plants.
How wild garlic looks like
The left one is the wild garlic you want, the other two are toxic.
This image is from SRF Gesundheit, where you can find more information (only in German).
Make sure to check it out in your own country, as the forest is not everywhere the same 🙂
Once collected, you have to wash it and toss it with four other ingredients in your food processor. You can keep this wild garlic pesto in your fridge for at least two weeks, always make sure to cover it with olive oil, and you will be on the save side that nothing gets mold. Eat it with pasta, on bread or over cooked vegetables.
Make Wild Garlic Pesto in your Food Processor
Wild Garlic PestoLeave a Review Print Pin
- 80 g (80 g) wild garlic
- 40 g (0.3 cups) pine nuts, roasted
- 40 g (0.4 cups) parmesan, grated
- 40 g (0.2 cups) olive oil
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) sea salt
- olive oil, to conserve
- Roast the pine nuts over medium heat until golden.
- Wash the wild garlic and rinse all water. It works best in a salad spinner.
- Place the roasted pine nuts, washed wild garlic, and grated parmesan in a food processor and pulse until everything is chopped.
- Add the olive oil and sea salt and pulse again until you have a creamy pesto.
- Wash a glass jar with very hot water and place the pesto in it. Top it with olive oil until the pesto is covered entirely with oil.