*This post may contain affiliate links.
This avocado tomato salad is a great and easy dish to make as a side to any meal and it is also great to make in advance. We add avocado and tomato, topping it with cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil to give it fresh flavor and healthy goodness.
This avocado tomato salad recipe is quick and easy to make and is perfect for hot summer days. It’s fresh, juicy, healthy, rich in vitamins, low-carb, low in calories, gluten-free, and vegan too!
Made up of just vegetables, it is a very light dish with amazing fresh flavors and works well as a side dish to accompany just about anything. I love to serve it with some of this homemade focaccia bread!
Furthermore, it’s always popular at my barbecue parties, just like this mango avocado salad made with mango, avocado, and cilantro. Though it is a little more exotic with beautiful fruity flavors!
You can also make this salad into a fuller meal by adding protein such as feta cheese (or vegan tofu feta), vegan chicken, or top it with some freshly cooked quinoa. Anyhow, if you love the taste of creamy avocados, this recipe is a must-try.
Avocados are a source of healthy fats, contain many vitamins as well as fiber. Because of the controversial cultivation, you should always reach for organic avocados.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Avocado → Ripe avocados can be recognized when they are a little softer during the pressure test. They shouldn’t be too soft either, otherwise, the salad will get pretty mushy when you stir it.
- Tomatoes → I recommend going for juicy ripe tomatoes such as oxheart or beefsteak tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes work too, but aren’t that juicy and rich in flavor.
- Red Onion → Gives the salad a bit of a sharp flavor which works so well with the juicy tomatoes. If you prefer a milder flavor, use spring onions or sauté the red onions in some olive oil before adding them to the salad.
- Cilantro (Coriander) → Fresh herbs are best for salads. Fresh cilantro harmonizes wonderfully with the salad. If you don’t like cilantro though, you can leave it out or replace it with Italian parsley.
- Dressing → Fresh lime juice, olive oil, red pepper flakes (optional), salt, and pepper are all you need for the dressing. You can be generous with the salt because avocados love a lot of salt to bring out its flavor!
This visual step-by-step instruction will help you along the way – definitely recommended if you’re a cooking beginner! 😉
- Prepare the avocados: Halve the avocados, removing the stones. Scoop the avocado out of the shells with a spoon, then cut it into cubes. In a bowl, toss them gently with lime juice. → This step prevents the avocado from turning brownish.
- Add it all together: Cut tomatoes into cubes, the red onion into fine rings, and finely chop the cilantro. Add them with the olive oil to the avocado.
- Season the salad: Season generously with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional). Mix carefully so the avocados don’t get too mushy.
Tips & Variations
- Leave the salad in the fridge for 30-60 minutes before serving to let the flavors fully absorb together. Plus, it tastes even better cold!
- Sprinkle the salad with some finely chopped garlic for added flavor.
- Add chopped English cucumber to turn it into a cucumber tomato avocado salad.
- Add some spice with finely chopped jalapeño rather than red pepper flakes, or use a chili-infused oil in the dressing.
- If you don’t have fresh limes to hand for the lime juice, you can use lemon juice or red wine vinegar instead.
Make Ahead & Storage Instructions
Can you make this recipe ahead of time? Tomato Avocado Salad can be made up to a day in advance (without the cilantro) and stored in the fridge until needed. Doing this will set the flavors together a little longer but not cause the salad to wilt at all. Just before you are ready to serve it, chop the cilantro and gently fold it into the rest of the mix.
How long does this salad last? Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 2 days.
More Delicious Avocado Recipes
- Avocado, Citrus, and Arugula Salad
- Avocado Strawberry Pasta Salad
- Spinach Salad with Avocado & Strawberries
Avocado Tomato Salad
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tomatoes I suggest using oxheart or beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 bunch cilantro or Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime only juice
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- Cut avocados in half, remove the seeds, and remove the avocado from the skin using a spoon. Cut into cubes. In a bowl, toss them gently with lime juice.
- Cut tomatoes into cubes, the red onion into fine rings, and finely chop the cilantro. Add them with the olive oil to the avocado.
- Season generously with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional). Mix carefully so the avocados don't get too mushy.