Read in: Deutsch
Add some color to your table! Beetroot hummus is not only a pretty dip with its beautiful pink color but also a very delicious hummus variety with a delightfully sweet taste.
Beetroot hummus is one of my favorite hummus recipes ever. I just love the pink color which looks beautiful on every slice of bread. Beetroot itself has a sweet taste and therefore ads a wonderful sweet flavor to your hummus.
I am sure your guests will be impressed if you serve them this beauty. It’s great as a vegan dip, bread spread, or in veggie sandwiches. I mostly eat it on a slice of homemade bread.
Are you not sure whether you like pink food or not? Make a basic homemade hummus according to this recipe. Once done, take away 2/3 of the hummus. Blend the rest with 1/3 cup of canned beets and see if you like it.
Canned vs Roasted Beets
You can use both to make beet hummus. I love to use the canned ones as I always have them at home and it makes this recipe super fast. If you prefer to roast them from scratch, awesome. Roast 1-2 beets with one tablespoon olive oil in the oven, let them cool down and make your hummus with it.
They actually have a skin which can be easily removed using your fingers. Have a look in the picture how much skin comes off from one can of chickpeas.
Well, if you used peeled ones, your hummus will result way softer and creamier than if you don’t. But you should consider that you need about 15 minutes to peel one can of chickpeas. Hummus is super delicious with the skin on too, just giving you an option to try.
Wash them once drained under cold water. Take one by one and slightly press between your finger until the skin comes off.
Beetroot Hummus Ingredients
- Cooked or canned chickpeas: the main ingredients for hummus. I always use the canned ones, as it’s super fast to make hummus with them. Feel free to use dried ones and cook them according to the label.
- Canned beets: the essential ingredient for the beautiful pink color and sweet taste.
Aquafaba, the drained water of chickpeas: using this instead of water makes your hummus fluffier and ads more taste. Did you know that you can use aqufabato make vegan chocolate mousse?
- Tahini: essential for the unique taste of hummus. Make your own tahini according to this recipe or use storebought one.
- Lemon juice: the sour aroma is needed for a full flavor.
- Spices such as garlic, cumin, and salt.
How To Make Beetroot Hummus Recipe
- Add all ingredients into a food processor or immersion blender and blend until smooth. If using an immersion blender, you might need to add more water or
- Store it up to 4 days in an airtight container in your fridge.
More Hummus Recipes
- Optional: Wash the drained chickpeas with cold water and peel them → This step is optional but makes your hummus super smooth.
- Blend all ingredients in your food processor until you have a smooth beetroot hummus.
- Aquafaba is the water in which the chickpeas are stored and makes your hummus extra fluffy. It can also be used as a vegan substitute for egg white.