A creamy vegan butternut squash soup with coconut milk. This recipe is simple to make and can be enjoyed during the pumpkin season in fall. Infusing your vegan butternut squash soup recipe with coconut milk is a great way to make it extra creamy and richer in its flavor.
Pumpkin soup is the way to go this fall. If you are looking for a way to enjoy the cold days, try out this vegan butternut squash soup which is made with coconut cream and therefore super creamy and full of flavor.
Butternut Squash and Coconut Milk
Adding coconut milk to your pumpkin soup makes your soup creamy and more flavorful. It’s also a great way to enjoy a creamy vegan butternut squash soup – as the coconut milk is an excellent dairy-free cream substitute.
How To Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
One of the best things about this butternut squash soup is that there is not a lot of work involved. Just a few simple steps until you can enjoy your hot comfort soup.
- Peel and chop the garlic and onion. Cook for a few minutes in coconut oil.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds using a spoon, and cut away the skin using a vegetable peeler. Chop into small cubes and add it with pumpkin seeds oil to the pot.
- Add vegetable broth and coconut milk and let it simmer for 20 minutes with the lid closed.
- Blend your butternut squash coconut soup and season it with lime juice, coconut sugar, salt, and pepper.
- If you don’t have pumpkin seeds oil at home, you can leave it out. It gives your soup a richer pumpkin flavor, but it’s still delicious without it.
- Use any kind of sugar instead of coconut sugar.
- Substitute the butternut squash with another winter squash or mix them up if you have pumpkin leftovers to use.
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Roasted Pumpkin Wedges with Tahini Sauce
- Roasted Fall Vegetables (with Pumpkin)
- Vegan Pumpkin Ginger Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Sharing is Caring
Do you like my recipe? I would love if you leave me a rating or comment. This way I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them ? Also, tag me on Instagram @aline_made or #alinemade – I will future all of your delicious food pictures on my account when you made my recipe!
Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1.3 lb (600g) butternut squash, weight without skin and seeds, see notes
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds oil, leave out if you don’t have
- 2 cups (480ml) vegetable broth
- 1 cup (240ml) coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- salt & pepper
- Peel and mince the garlic and onion. Cut the butternut squash in half, scoop out the seeds using a spoon, and cut away the skin using a vegetable peeler. Chop into small cubes.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large pot. When hot, add the minced garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chopped pumpkin and pumpkin seeds oil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk, bring it to the boil, cover with the lid and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend the butternut soup in a mixer and season with lime juice, coconut, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- The serving size is for six people as a starter or 3 as a main dish.
- 600g chopped butternut squash is about one small butternut squash. The weigh in the recipe is without skin and seeds, therefore make sure to buy one which is about 200g/0.4lb heavier. If you don’t end up with exact 600g prepared pumpkin, don’t worry and adjust the amount of vegetable broth in the recipe.
- You can store your soup in the fridge for a few days or freeze up to 3 months.