Mulled wine and Christmas Time belong together. Here where I live, we have quite a huge Christmas Market (for this very tiny city ?) starting from the last week of November until just a few days before Christmas. I love to stroll through the Christmas Market with some friends and a mulled wine in my hand (it helps that your fingers don’t turn into ice cubes…). But what is even better, to invite some friends for a Christmas cookies party session and serve some homemade ginger mulled wine. It has less sugar and preservatives than the one they serve you at the Christmas market.
Ginger Mulled Wine – Spiced with Christmas Spices and Ginger!
This Ginger Mulled Wine is made with the typical Christmas spices but added some ginger and apple for a slightly better taste (in my opinion). And it contains just three tablespoons of sugar for half a liter of wine. You can prepare it also in advance and store it in your fridge for up to 5 days. Your ginger mulled wine will take up the aroma of the spices even more, and the taste is so much more intensive.
- 500 ml red wine
- 1 cm ginger, sliced
- 1 orange, just juice
- 0.5 apple, chopped
- 0.5 lemon, only zest
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 0.5 tsp anise
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Pour the red wine into a pot and heat over high heat until it starts to simmer.
- Meanwhile, slice the ginger, press out the juice of one orange and zest a half lemon.
- Add all ingredients to the simmering red wine and stir well.
- Place the lid on the pot and lower the heat to the minimum. It should simmer just very slightly. Otherwise, all the alcohol will evaporate.
- Let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour your ginger mulled wine through a fine sieve and serve still hot.
Prepare your ginger mulled wine a few days in advance and store it in a glass bottle in your fridge (up to 5 days). After step 5, pour it into a glass bottle with all the spices, ginger, and apple inside. This way, your mulled wine has some more days to take the whole flavor of the spices, and it will taste better. If you want to drink it, just pour it back into a pot and heat it until drinking temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177 Sodium: 6mg Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 15g