Have you ever thought of making homemade iced tea instead of buying the one in the supermarket? In fact, it’s very simple, and if you are buying a bulk package of tea bags, it’s so much cheaper. Plus, you don’t have to carry it home. I love to make my own iced tea and can decide how sweet I want to have it. To be honest, the storebought one is way too sweet for my taste. It’s super fun to make it for a party with kids or to enjoy it as a summer drink.
This recipe for homemade iced tea uses a mixture of black tea and rose hip tea. Adding the later not only gives it the beautiful pink color but also gives the iced tea a softer taste. Feel free to substitute it with every kind of red tea. It doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare it, but you need a few hours to cool it down before you have a chilled summer drink. I prefer to make it in the evening and refrigerate it overnight.
Sugar syrup, which is used in this recipe, is a great way to sweeten every cold drink. It’s sugar dissolved in boiling water and stored in the fridge. If each of your family members has another sweet taste, place the sugar syrup in the middle of the table and let everyone sweeten it’s on drink. As I already mentioned above, I don’t like too sweet beverages and am happy if we can find a solution for everybody this way.
Make sure to serve your homemade iced tea it with loads of ice cubes.
Homemade Iced Tea
- 500 ml water, boiling
- 500 ml water, cold
- 4 tea bags black tea
- 2 tea bags rose hip tea
- 2 lemon
- 10 ice cubes
- 100 g sugar
- 120 ml water, boiling
- Steep the tea bags for 5 minutes in the boiling water. Pour the tea into a one-liter glass bottle and fill it up with 500ml cold water.
- Cool it down at room temperature for one hour. Place it in your fridge until very cold, which will take about 3 hours.
- When your tea is properly chilled, pour it in a pitcher and add the juice of two lemons and ice cubes. Sweeten your iced tea with sugar syrup as desired.
- Bring the water to the boil, add the sugar and mix until dissolved. Let it cool down and store it in your freezer.
- Using sugar syrup to sweeten your iced tea has two advantages. Everybody has another sense of sweetness, and with the sugar syrup, you can sweeten in the go. The syrup is liquid and therefore mixed within seconds, no problems to dissolve sugar in an ice cold drink.
- Decorate with lemon rings if desired.