Read in: Deutsch
Vegan Thai Iced Tea – The ice cold tea summer drink you can’t miss out! Let me show you how to make this tasty Asian drink at home using non-diary milk.
Aren’t we all dreaming of that refreshing ice cold drink on hot days? If you like black tea, Asian spices, and super cold beverages, this Thai iced tea recipe is a must to try for you.
What is Thai Iced Tea
Thai Iced Tea is, as the name already reveals, a traditional cold drink of Thailand. As I have already been a few times to Thailand, I do know how the original recipe tastes. It’s made with a unique black tea mixture, called “Thai Iced Tea Mix” (you can find it online to order) and served cold with condensed milk on a lot of ice cubes.
Vegan Thai Iced Tea Recipe
I am going to show you a slightly adapted vegan version of this iced drink which you can make easily at home with regular black tea and a few spices you might already have at home if you are an Asian recipe lover.
Condensed milk, as used in the original recipe, is very thick and sweet. There isn’t a great non-diary supplement for condensed milk, but the drink is just as delicious made with oat milk.
Furthermore, condensed milk contains a lot of fat and therefore is “swimming” on the tea before stirring. You typically see those two layers in each Thai iced tea picture. 🙂 If you want this look, use coconut milk with a high percentage of fat (but be aware that the coconut milk alters the taste of the drink).
Also, I cut down the sugar in comparison to the
How to make Thai Iced Tea
Using regular black tea and spices:
- Bring water to the boil.
- Add the sugar, a crushed cardamom pod (crush it with the back of a knife), star anises, cloves, and two tea bags black tea.
- Let the tea steep for 5 minutes, remove the tea bags.
- Let the tea cool down on your countertop for about 1 hour – leave the spices inside.
- Take out the spices, divide the tea between 2 large glasses (or 3 for smaller drinks), add ice cubes, and fill up with oat milk.
- Double the amount of sugar for a sweeter iced tea.
- Prepare the tea one day in advance and store it in your fridge.
- Oat milk is, in my opinion, the best choice for this recipe, but feel free to substitute it with light coconut milk or soy milk. I wouldn’t suggest using nut milk, as the nut taste would be too strong in this recipe.
More Summer Drink Recipes
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Vegan Thai Iced TeaLeave a Review Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups (480ml) boiling water
- 2 tea bags black tea, use 4 for an extra strong tea
- 1/8 cup (30g) brown sugar, or coconut blossom sugar
- 2 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 1 cardamom pod, crushed
- 1/2 cup oat milk, or light coconut milk, soy milk
- a handful ice cubes
- Bring the water to the boil and add the tea, sugar, and spices. Let the tea bags steep for 5 minutes and remove them afterward.
- Let the tea (leave the spices inside) cool down on your countertop for about one hour.
- Remove the spices and divide the tea between two large glasses. Add enough ice cubes and fill each glass with oat milk.
- Light coconut milk or soy milk works too.
- Double the amount of sugar for a sweeter Thai iced tea.
- Prepare the tea one day in advance and store it in the fridge (you can leave the spices inside for a stronger taste).