Read in: Deutsch
The easiest recipe for roasted fall vegetables! This oven-roasted pumpkin combined with other delicious fall vegetables needs minimal preparation time and can be adjusted to your taste.
Is there anything easier than making sheet pan veggies in the oven? The only “time consuming” step here is to prepare the vegetables! Once they are in the oven, you can sit back and wait until they are roasted while it smells heavenly out of the oven.
Sheet Pan Veggies – Quick & Easy
Roasting veggies in the oven is not only easy to make, yet the roasting process gives your vegetables a wonderful aroma, which you would never achieve in a pan.
Another huge plus of sheet pan veggies is that you can vary and adjust the vegetables to your taste. If you don’t like a particular vegetable in this recipe or you might just not have it at hand, simply swap it with another one.
Oven Roasted Vegetables with Roasted Pumpkin
It is obvious that if the recipe calls for fall vegetables, pumpkin can’t be missing. Cause pumpkin is THE fall vegetable par excellence. When it starts to get colder and the leaves start to fall from the trees, you know that the season of this orange miracle veggie is approaching.
Oven-roasted pumpkin becomes very soft and gets a caramel note through the roasting process.
I recommend that you use a Red Kuri Squash (Hokkaido), Butternut Squash, or sugar pumpkin to make this recipe. These pumpkin varieties are perfect for oven-roasted pumpkin.
Red Kuri Squash has the advantage that you can eat it with the skin on and therefore don’t have to peel it. Butternut Squash, on the other hand, has an aromatic nutty flavor.
Roasted Fall Vegetables – Variations
You might be wondering what olives and cherry tomatoes have to do with fall vegetables. Well, I think Kalamata olives give oven dishes a salty touch and that particular extra taste. For example, I like to add Kalamata olives to this spaghetti recipe with roasted cauliflower.
Cherry tomatoes are still in season at the beginning of fall, especially if it is such a warm and mild fall like in recent years. I love to add cherry tomatoes, cause they are so juicy and give the whole dish more “juice”! If you can’t find local cherry tomatoes, it’s ok to omit them.
You can adjust the veggies in this recipe. If so, choose one of those:
- Celery Root
- Bell Peppers
- Any other root vegetables
Roasted Vegetables Recipe Tips
- Pumpkin: Wash the pumpkin, cut in half using a sharp knife (serrated or bread knife) and remove the seeds. It is especially easy using a spoon to scrape out the seeds. No need to peel Red Kuri Squash, all other pumpkins have to be peeled. Cut the pumpkin into bite-sized pieces.
- Olives: I usually wash olives, as they are canned in quite a salty brine. But for this recipe, I only drain them over a kitchen sieve, because the salty note is very desirable here. Make sure you use pitted olives.
- Cherry tomatoes: Leave them whole. Otherwise, they become too mushy. It is also important that you add the cherry tomatoes and olives only after you 20 minutes baking time. Otherwise, they are roasted for too long and will be very mushy and simply overcooked.
- Garlic: The garlic gives this dish a whole new level. You can eat whole roasted garlic cloves without hesitation. They are very mild in taste after baking for so long. No worries, you can also throw them away after baking if the thought of eating a whole garlic clove makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Seasoning: Olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper are particularly suitable for seasoning. I like to add a little sage, which goes very well with pumpkin. If you want, you can add other fresh or dried herbs.
- Baking: In order to bake the vegetables evenly, it is important to flip them every 10 minutes. Take the casserole dish out of the oven to do so. ➝ You can burn yourself very quickly.
- Casserole dish or baking tray: You can bake it either in a baking pan (casserole dish), sheet pan, or on a with parchment paper-lined baking tray. I prefer to use a baking pan because I don’t need to waste parchment paper and I can easily stick it into my dishwasher!
How long does it stay fresh? If you store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it stays fresh for 3 days.
How do I reheat the vegetables? The easiest way is to cook them with some oil for about 5 minutes in a skillet.
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Roasted Pumpkin Wedges with Tahini Sauce
- Vegan Pumpkin Ginger Soup
- Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Did you try this recipe?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Roasted Fall Vegetables (with Pumpkin)
- 10.5 oz (300g) pumpkin, cut into chunks
- 1 (~10.5 oz | 300g) sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup (150g) cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (80g) kalamata olives
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup (50g) olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, only juice
- 1 tsp dried sage, or fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 390°F/200°C.
- Wash the pumpkin. Cut in half and scrape out the seeds using a spoon. Cut into bite-size chunks. *see notes
- Prepare all the other veggies.
- Place all ingredients, except the tomatoes and olives, on a baking pan, sheet pan, or a with parchment-paper lined baking tray. Toss to coat all the veggies.
- Bake it for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Flip after 10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add in the tomatoes and olives.
- Bake for another 20 minutes until the veggies are tender. Flip after 10 minutes.
- Serve it as a healthy dinner or side dish.
- No need to peel if you are using a Red Kuri Squash (Hokkaido). Every other pumpkin must be peeled first.
- Make this dish your own and adapt the vegetables according to your taste. It's delicious with all kind of root vegetables.
- Omit the olives if you don't like them.
- Garlic has a mild taste when roasted and can be eaten with the veggies. Discard if you don't like whole roasted garlic cloves.
- How long does it stay fresh? If you store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator, it stays fresh for 3 days.