A delicious homemade rough puff pastry recipe for desserts or savory dishes. You will never again buy frozen puff pastry in the supermarket.
The cheater version of homemade puff pastry is called rough puff pastry, which is easier to make than it’s original. You probably know that puff pastry is made of various layers of butter, which is quite challenging and needs a lot of time if you are not a pro.
If you still want to make your puff pastry at home, I teach you how to make this cheat version. You only need four ingredients, a kitchen machine, and a rolling pin. The result will be very delicious and so much better than if you buy it in the store. Homemade is always the best!
Now, let me show you how to make this rough puff pastry step by step at home. Working with cold ingredients and
How to make Rough Puff Pastry – Stey-by-Step
- Make sure all your ingredients are cold.
- Mix the flour, salt, and butter until breadcrumbs resemble.
- Mix in the water just until combined. Don’t
- Place it on a floured working surface and form into a square (or rectangle). Wrap with plastic foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface.
- Fold the upper third into the middle.
- Fold the under third into the middle.
- Turn it 90°, repeat step 5-7 three times until you have a smooth dough. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
Homemade Rough Puff Pastry
Homemade rough puff pastry can be simple to make when using a kitchen machine. Let me show you with this recipe how to make a quick puff pastry at home. The working time is short, but the dough needs to be refrigerated twice for 30 minutes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour pastry flour, (Europe: type 405)
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.5 cup butter in cubes
- 0.2 cup water ice cold
Mix the flour and salt. Add it with the butter in the bowl of your kitchen machine. Using the K Hook (Kenwood) or Flat Beater (Kitchenaid), mix it at the lowest possible speed until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (~ 2 minutes).
Add the ice cold water and mix it again at the lowest speed just until it comes together (∼ 20 seconds), but don't knead it.
Place the mixture on a well-floured working surface and form it into a square. Wrap it with plastic foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
On a well-floured working surface, roll out the dough into a long rectangle. First, fold the upper third into the middle, then fold the lower third into the middle too on top of the other. Turn the dough 90° and repeat these steps three times. Use more flour if needed to prevent the dough from sticking.
Wrap the dough with plastic foil and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to one day.
Once again, roll out your dough on a floured surface. Your dough is now ready for your desired puff pastry recipe.
- It's essential that the ingredients and dough are always cold when working with it. When they get to warm, it's difficult to work with, and you will have sticky butter everywhere.
- When I make the puff pastry on a hot summer day, I refrigerate the ingredients (yes, also the flour) for about 30 minutes before I start. I figured out this is a simple step more but makes your puff pastry life easier.