Read in: Deutsch
The best and easiest vegan French toast recipe you have to know! Make delicious eggless French toasts within minutes for breakfast or a family brunch.
This eggless French toast recipe is super easy to make and ready in a few minutes. I like to serve it with seasonal berries, maple syrup, and cinnamon for breakfast.
Each bite is a real pleasure. Thick sliced bread cooked in butter, crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside, flavored with vanilla – that’s what this vegan version tasted like.
What Are French Toasts
French toasts are a French specialty which is served for breakfast or dessert. You have to dip bread in a mixture of milk, eggs, and some spices and cook it in a skillet with lots of butter.
It’s best served with maple syrup, fresh berries, cinnamon, or whipping cream.
How To Make French Toasts without Eggs
The authentic French toast recipe, check out this Brioche French Toast Recipe, is made with eggs. Those thicken the mixture during cooking.
But no worries, there is an easy hack on how to make vegan French toasts. You can use cornstarch instead of eggs, which has the same thickening effect once cooked.
Your toast will not turn out as yellow as the original, but if this bothers you, add a pinch of turmeric for a light yellow color.
This recipe is great if you have some leftover bread from the day before which is already slightly hard, but still good. As you are going to soak it in a milky mixture, it turns soft again yet keeps a little of its crunchiness.
Vegan French Toast Recipe
Ingredients you need:
- Thick slices of white bread, toast, or any kind of bread – can be from the day before
- Plant-based milk, I prefer oat milk, but you can use any kind of non-dairy milk (e.g. soy milk, coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk) – be aware that nut milk can alter the taste and gives your toasts a nutty flavor
- Cornstarch, the vegan egg replacement who thickens the mixture during cooking
- Vanilla Extract, for a light vanilla taste
- Salt, only a hint to enhance the flavors
- Cinnamon, that’s optional, leave out if you don’t like it
- Vegan butter, to cook your toast, can be replaced with plant-based margarine or oil (such as coconut oil)
How to make it:
- Cut your bread/toast in thick slices (don’t make them too thin, they could break when soaked with milk).
- Mix the milk, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon in a wide bowl.
- Heat a skillet with some butter or oil.
- When your skillet is hot, dip each side of the bread for 10 seconds in the milk mixture. It’s easiest to turn it around using two forks.
- Place in the hot skillet with butter and cook each side for about 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining slices of bread/toast and always add a little more butter when adding a new toast. ➝ To fasten things up, use two skillets simultaneously.
Vegan French Toast Toppings
- Homemade Applesauce
- Seasonal Fruit
- Maple Syrup
- Plant-based Whipping Cream
- Raspberry Chia Jam
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Spread & Banana
Let me know in the comments if your favorite topping is missing! I am happy to add it!
More Vegan Recipes You’ll Love:
Did you try this recipe?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Vegan French Toast
- Mix the milk, cornstarch, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt in a wide bowl. Slice the bread in thick slices.
- Heat a skillet with some butter over medium heat.
- As soon as the skillet is hot, dip each side of one slice bread for 10 seconds in the milk mixture. Place in the skillet and cook each side for 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining bread and always add some more butter into the skillet.
- Serve your vegan French toasts hot with fresh fruit, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
- Lasts for one day in the fridge. Reheat in a skillet or oven before serving.
- It’s a perfect recipe to use up old bread from the day before.
- The amount of toast you will get out of this recipe (anywhere between 4-8), depends on the size and thickness of your bread slices.