Read in: Deutsch
Let me present to you my favorite recipe for butter lettuce salad! This simple salad recipe is sure to please and comes with a homemade dressing, sautéd shallots, and crunchy seeds!
I dare to call this butter lettuce salad recipe one of the best and easiest salad recipes ever! It’s so simple and quick to make in under 10 minutes – a perfect side salad or side dish for any occasion. I love to serve a large bowl of it at least once a week, hence it’s one of my favorite lettuce salads next to this simple green salad!
Butter lettuce is known for its soft, buttery texture and mild flavor. If tossed with sautéed shallots, fresh chives, and a seed salad topper (or nut mixture), you can turn it into a really flavorful and light salad! So fresh, crunchy, healthy, and simply delicious!
Once you made the recipe, you can probably make it in the future without looking it up here – so easy it is! The most important part is actually the homemade lettuce dressing. It’s very mild and light – soft butter lettuce leaves love a rather light than heavy dressing!
Good To Know: Lettuce is in season from March through November and is full of vitamins A, B, C and E.
See recipe card for quantities.
- Butter Lettuce → Butterhead lettuce is also known as Boston lettuce or Bibb lettuce. Buy fresh and organic whenever possible. Vegetable markets usually have the best.
- Shallot → I recommend sautéing them in a skillet with some olive oil – this makes them softer in taste and easier to digest. Feel free to add some minced garlic. If you prefer, use the shallot raw or substitute with a yellow onion or green onion.
- Seed Mixture → Provides a great crunch! If you don’t have a mix, you can also use toasted sunflower seeds, pine nuts, almonds, or nuts of your choice.
- Chives → Or fresh herbs of your choice!
- Dressing → The secret is dijon mustard, white balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of vegetable bouillon powder for extra flavor. Vinegar can be substituted with lemon juice or lime juice.
- Extra Flavor – drizzle the salad with balsamic crema!
- Deluxe (vegetarian) – top it with shaved Parmesan cheese!
- Extra Veggies – mix grated carrots, English cucumber slices, and diced tomatoes under the salad!
- Crunchy – top it with homemade toasted breadcrumbs.
- Protein – add some hard-boiled eggs.
Lettuce Salad Dressings Ideas
I recommend you use the butter lettuce dressing in the recipe. It is a very mild and light dressing that goes very well with delicate lettuce. Do you still like a little variety? Then use one of these dressing recipes:
Hint: The quickest way to make a salad dressing is to place all ingredients into a clean glass jar, close it with the lid, and shake it well. Alternatively, whisk the ingredients in a small bowl.
Store the salad and vinaigrette individually in an airtight container in the fridge for a maximum of one day. Toss right before serving.
Tossed salad can’t be stored – it will turn soggy! The dressing alone can be stored for up to one week in the refrigerator.
More Simple Lettuce Salad Recipes
- Simple Green Salad
- Spinach Apple Salad with Cranberry & Walnut
- Spinach Salad with Strawberry & Avocado
- Arugula Parmesan Salad
Butter Lettuce Salad
- 1 butter lettuce
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 tbsp seed salad topper (or nut mixture)
- 1 tbsp chives minced, or fresh garden herbs of your choice
- Heat a skillet with a little bit of oil, add minced shallot and sauté for a few minutes until translucent. → This brings out a milder flavor and makes the shallot easier to digest. Feel free to use it raw if you prefer!
- Wash butter lettuce and spin dry using a salad spinner. Tear (or cut with a knife) large leaves into smaller pieces.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake well or whisk them together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange lettuce, shallot, seed salad topper, and chives in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately!