Read in: Deutsch
Creamy green asparagus pasta with a simple vegan alfredo sauce. A quick and easy pasta recipe with taste.
Green asparagus, pasta, and a creamy Alfredo-style sauce. These three elements work beautifully together and allow you to enjoy a tasty dinner or lunch in under 30 minutes.
This creamy asparagus pasta is ideal for meal prep and can be reheated in the microwave (office lunch) or a skillet. I like to toss it with a handful of vegan cheese right before serving.
Chop & Roast Asparagus
As you can see in the images, the asparagus are chopped in long diagonal shapes. This ensures a quick roasting time and also give the asparagus a slightly different taste than when chopped in long pieces.
When you roast asparagus in long pieces, only the outer part has direct contact with the skillet. Using a diagonal cut ensures that both the outer and inner part is in direct contact with the heat of the skillet.
asparagus pasta recipe
- Bring a large pot with salted water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook them al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining them.
- Prepare the asparagus and cook them in a skillet.
- Prepare the vegan alfredo sauce.
- Transfer the drained pasta and alfredo sauce into the skillet with the asparagus and toss gently for about one minute over medium heat. Stretch the sauce with the remaining pasta water (don’t add all at once, only as much as needed).
→ You can add vegan cheese before serving.
- You can make this recipe with white or green asparagus, or a mix of both. The preparation is the same, but you need to peel the white ones before cooking.
- Use another pasta type instead of penne. If you want to use long pasta shapes such as spaghetti or tagliatelle, make more sauce or stretch it with pasta water. They tend to soak up way more sauce than shorter pasta.
Vegan Alfredo Sauce Recipe
The vegan alfredo sauce recipe is made within a few minutes and makes any pasta creamy and tasteful. Feel free to make the recipe without asparagus or serve it along with any other pasta dish.
Alfredo sauce is originally made with a lot of butter, parmesan, and fresh egg pasta. There are a lot of alfredo interpreted recipes going around which are prepared with cream, milk, or cream cheese. I am going to show you a vegan version made with plant-based butter, milk, and cream cheese.
how to make vegan alfredo sauce
- Add the butter, garlic, and onion in a little saucepan and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the milk and cream cheese and cook until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Season it with salt, pepper, and dried Italian herbs. If you like you can add garlic powder for an intenser garlic taste.
- Soymilk works the best as it thickens very quickly. I have tried the recipe with oat milk, and the result was not the same, but still delicious.
- I used cream cheese made with almonds.
- If you are out of garlic or onion or want to make the recipe quicker, you can substitute it with garlic- and onion powder.
More Asparagus Recipes
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
- One Pot Pasta
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Garlic and Olives
- Cashew Tomato Pasta
- Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese
Creamy Asparagus Pasta Alfredo Style
- 7 oz (200g) penne, or any other pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz (400g) green asparagus
Vegan Alfredo Sauce
- 2 tbsp plant-based margarine or butter
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup soy milk, *see notes
- 4 tbsp plant-based cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs, e.g. basil, oregano
- Cook the pasta in boiling salt water al dente, rinse and set aside. → Take out ~1/2 cup pasta water and keep aside.
- Trim off tough ends of the asparagus and chop diagonally in thin slices. Heat a skillet with olive oil, add the asparagus, and roast for about 5 minutes.
- Place the butter, minced garlic, and onion in a little saucepan and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cream cheese and soy milk and cook for about 5 minutes, until you have a thick creamy sauce. Season it with salt, pepper, and dried Italian herbs. Optional: Add garlic powder for an intenser Alfredo-Garlic taste.
- Transfer the pasta and sauce into the skillet with the roasted asparagus. Return to the stove and toss gently for one minute. Add some of the pasta water to stretch the sauce.
- Soy milk works the best for this sauce. But can be substituted with oat milk.
- You can substitute green asparagus with white ones or mix both of them.
- Vegetarian: Use the dairy substitute for non-diary products.