Read in: Deutsch
Chrunchy vegan wraps filled with oven roasted chickpeas, BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomatoes – a super tasty tortilla wrap recipe for your snack, meal prep, or healthy lunch.
Let’s wrap together! Have you ever thought of using crispy roasted chickpeas as a wrap filling? It’s not only healthy, full or proteins, but also damn delicious.
The crunchy texture of the chickpeas rolled together with a smoky sweet BBQ sauce in a soft and warm tortilla – that’s what I call vegan comfort food. It’s almost like a sandwich, but better. If you roll it correctly (I will show you how to do it with step by step pictures), no sauce nor filling is drizzling out.
Prepare Wraps in Advance
If you are often in a rush to make lunch, prepare the filling at the weekend or evenings and store it in the fridge so that you only have to fill and roll them up.
The second option is to prepare these vegan tortilla wraps in the evening, roll them in some foil or place in an airtight container, and take them with you to work the next day. They are great for picnics in the summer, long hiking tours, or as a quick dish.
Which Tortillas To Choose?
Use large flour tortillas to make this recipe. I always go for the extra large tortillas to make wraps.
Please don’t try to make them with the smallest ones. I’ve tried, and it’s challenging, almost impossible, to roll them up without ending it in a big mess. If using the large one, you can fill them with a decent amount of wrap filling and sauce and still be able to roll them up very tight and nicely.
If you try to reduce gluten, you can go for gluten free corn tortillas.
You can also substitute tortillas with pita bread.
Vegan Wraps Filling
Other fillings you can use to make vegan wraps are:
- Vegan Cauliflower Taco Meat ➝ Cripsy, full or flavor, and nutrients
- Canned Chickpeas ➝ Very easy and quick, but you need to like the soft taste of chickpeas
- Freshly chopped veggies ➝ I love carrots, tomatoes, avocado and salad for veggie wraps
Best Wraps Sauce
Other options are:
- Vegan Tzatziki ➝ Vegan yogurt mixed with grated cucumber, pressed garlic or garlic powder, olive oil, sea salt, and black pepper
- Cocktail Sauce ➝ vegan mayo mixed with ketchup
- Vegan French Dressing
- Lemon or lime juice
Let me know in the comments if your favorite wrap sauce is missing! I am sure my readers will love your input!
Vegan Wrap Recipe
- Prepare the oven roasted chickpeas according to THIS RECIPE.
- Prepare the vegan BBQ sauce according to THIS RECIPE or use storebought BBQ sauce.
- Heat a skillet and cook each side of the tortilla for about one minute. You only want to warm them up and don’t cook until brown and hard. You can also warm them in a microwave or oven ➝ Check the label and follow the instructions.
- Chop the salad and tomatoes.
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface. Add the salad, tomato, roasted chickpeas, BBQ sauce, and vegan yogurt. ➝ Make sure to place the ingredients in the middle of the tortilla and keep enough space around to roll them up. Also, don’t add too much filling. Otherwise, you will have a hard time rolling them.
- Lay about 1″/2cm of the left and right side into the middle.
- Now, start rolling up tightly to a wrap.
- You want a tightly rolled up wrap like in the picture below.
- Cut in two and enjoy!!!
- Use vegan greek yogurt, homemade vegan mayo, or any other white sauce instead of yogurt.
- Add lemon juice for a fresh taste.
- Season with salt and pepper if you like it spicy.
- Add fresh herbs, chopped red onion, or veggies of your choice.
- If you don’t like BBQ sauce, use ketchup instead.
Yes, prepare one day in advance and store them in your fridge.
You can use pita bread instead.
Yes, use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas and a gluten-free BBQ sauce.
Of course. Check the list above.
Use ketchup or any alternative in the list above.
More Recipe You’ll Love:
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Vegan BBQ Chickpea Wraps
- Prepare the oven roasted chickpeas according to this recipe. It will take you at least 30 minutes but can be prepared in advance.
- Heat a skillet and cook each side of the tortilla for not more than one minute. You only want to warm it and not cook until brown and hard. You can also do that in the microwave or oven, check the label accordingly.
- Place the chopped salad, tomato, chickpeas, BBQ sauce, and yogurt in the middle of each tortilla. Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Fold in each side (1"/2cm) of the tortilla into the middle. Start rolling it up tightly from one end until you have a nice wrap. Cut in half and serve. ➝ Check the blog post for step-by-step pictures.
- Use vegan taco meat from this recipe instead of oven roasted chickpeas.
- Store the wrap for up to one day in your fridge.