*This post may contain affiliate links.
This simple Vegan Roasted Carrot Soup Recipe with orange is absolutely bursting with flavor! The best Winter Comfort Food for all soup fans!
During winter, I love to serve this roasted carrot soup for lunch or dinner! It’s more than just an appetizer! It’s warming, comforting, and makes a light meal served with some freshly baked No-Knead Bread or Turkish Pide Bread.
Making carrot soup vegan is super simple! Adding half a cup of plant-based milk at the end makes this delicious vegan soup super creamy and a little milder in its taste.
Carrot Orange Soup
Yep, that’s right. Carrots + oranges = a warm bowl of heaven during this winter chill!
Never tried adding fruit to your soup? It may seem a little experimental and exotic, but trust me, it is delicious. The orange compliments the soup with a delicate sweet and zesty aroma taking this vegan carrot soup to a whole new level.
Give it a try!
And if you are super fancy, try adding some orange zest and not only the flesh of the orange.
Roasted Carrot Soup – Full of Flavor
Instead of cooking the vegetables in a pot with vegetable stock, they are roasted in the oven. Roasting the vegetables, especially the carrots, really brings out their sweetness, and makes the soup taste richer and deeper.
No time to roast the veggies? Try this Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup.
To give the soup and added warmth, I used paprika, cumin, and some nutmeg.
Like a bit of a kick? Me too! I added some chipotle sauce for some extra heat – absolute perfection!
What is Chipotle in Adobo Sauce?
Originating in Mexico, a chipotle pepper is a smoke-dried jalapeño chili pepper. It’s usually served in adobo sauce, a sweet and smoky purée of tomato, some vinegar, garlic, and other spices.
It tastes excellent on vegetables, or add it to creamy vegan mayo to make a dip or spread. Chipotle is served with almost everything in Mexico and often used to cook delicious Mexican meals!
Where do I buy it? You can buy Chipotle in Adobo Sauce in major supermarkets in the Mexican or condiments isle, online or in Mexican supermarkets if you have some nearby.
If you can’t find chipotle, try replacing it with 1 teaspoon of Sriracha, Sambal Oelek or another chili sauce. Feel free to leave it out if you don’t like spicy food.
How To Make This Vegan Carrot Soup Recipe
→ Check out the recipe video. So you can see in less than a minute how to make this simple spicy vegan carrot soup with orange!
- Place all the ingredients in a large baking or casserole dish, or on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Toss well so that all the vegetables are coated with the spices and oil.
- Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 395°F/200°C, turning every 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Take the vegetables out of the oven and let them cool for about 15 minutes.
- Put the roasted vegetables with the vegetable broth and cashew milk in a blender. If you only have an immersion blender, pour everything into a large pot to blend.
- Blend it into a smooth soup. Do you see how creamy and bright this carrot soup is?
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- The soup should be the perfect temperature for eating. If you prefer it a little hotter, pop it in the microwave or in a pot on the stove over medium heat.
(The exact quantities and everything you need to know for the recipe can be found in the recipe card below.)
These croutons are delicious, crispy and a quick-to-make soup topping. All you have to do is fry a few small bread cubes in a little olive oil and Italian herbs. This takes just 5 minutes!
The carrot soup tastes great without croutons, but if you like that added crunch, definitely serve it with croutons.
While the vegetables are roasting in the oven, you’ll have enough time to make the croutons AND do the dishes! Win-win!
How long does this Roasted Carrot Soup last? You can keep it refrigerated in a sealed container for 3 days.
How do I heat soup back up? You can put it in the microwave either for a few minutes, or heat it in a pot on the stove over medium heat. The soup may thicken up slightly in the fridge, but it usually liquefies again when it’s warmed up. If it’s still too thick, add some extra water if you need to.
Can I freeze the soup? Yes, you can freeze it for a good 3 months and defrost straight into a pot over medium heat. You don’t need to let it thaw beforehand.
I don’t have Chipotle, what should I do? You can either replace it with 1 teaspoon of another chili sauce (e.g. Sriracha or Sambal Oelek) or simply leave it out. Chipotle is a bit milder than many other chili sauces, so I wouldn’t replace it 1:1. Try 1 tsp chili sauce for every ½ tbsp chipotle sauce, unless you like it very hot.
Which plant-based milk is the best to use for this recipe? Any dairy-free milk works well for this recipe. Coconut milk, nut milk, oat milk, or soy milk! Simply use the one you have in your fridge anyway. If you don’t have dairy-free milk, you can substitute it with water or some cream.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Curry Soup
- Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Ginger Soup
Did You Try This Recipe?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Roasted Carrot Soup
Click on the stars to leave a vote!
- 1 lb (450 g) carrots peeled & cut into 1-inch (2.54 cm) chunks
- ½ cup (100 g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 orange peeled & quartered
- 1 onion peeled & quartered
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & crushed
- ½ lemon only juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce I use this from Mexico, optional → see notes*
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth
- ½ cup (120 ml) cashew milk, or another plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices bread cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ tsp dried Italian herbs
- Preheat the oven to 395°F/200°C.
- Place all the ingredients into a large baking dish and toss well. Roast it for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Place the slightly cooled roasted vegetables with the vegetable broth and cashew milk in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- The soup should have the perfect serving temperature. If you prefer your soup very hot, heat it up in the microwave or in a large pot over the stove before serving.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil.
- Add the bread cubes and Italian herbs and roast for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Set aside and serve with the soup.
- Make-Ahead: Keeps fresh for 3 days. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freeze: Can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it directly in a pot over medium heat.
- Chipotle in Adobo Sauce: I love adding this to roasted vegetables, It gives them a very flavourful and somewhat spicy taste. Omit if you don’t have it or substitute with 1 tsp sriracha/sambal oelek, or any other chili sauce you have at home.