Read in: Deutsch
Vegan mango lassi is a traditional Indian mango drink made with fresh mango, plant-based yogurt, and a touch of cardamom. A refreshing drink with vitamins!
Let me show you how to make a vegan mango lassi at home. The recipe is straightforward, made in five minutes, and all you need is a blender and a few ingredients.
This vegan version can be enjoyed with Indian meals, as a tasty summer drink, or even as a smoothie alternative in the mornings.
What Is Mango Lassi
Lassi is a traditional Indian drink which is served with meals or as a delicious summer drink. It’s typically made with yogurt and therefore has a thick consistency.
Lassis are often blended with fresh fruits, and the most known combination is with fresh mango for mango lassi.
The basic ingredients always stay the same. So if you don’t have mango at hand, you can always substitute it with other fruits such as fresh raspberries, peach, or pineapple.
Because Indian food is often hot, it’s pleasing to enjoy an Indian meal accompanied by this yogurt drink, which seriously helps if your mouth is burning from all the hot food.
Vegan Mango Lassi Ingredients
- Fresh Mango
- Plant-based yogurt such as soy yogurt, use unsweetened yogurt if you don’t like the extra sugar in your drink
- Water to dilute it, otherwise, it’s too thick
- Maple syrup for a slightly sweet taste, can be substituted with agave nectar or brown sugar
- Lime juice for a hint sour flavor and to prevent the mango from turning brown
- A hint cardamom powder for a typical Indian flavor
- Ice cubes to serve
Make sure that you use a ripe mango, as they have much more flavor and are sweeter than unripe ones. If mangoes aren’t in season, it’s ok to use frozen mango or even mango pulp.
Soy yogurt is the most neutral tasting vegan yogurt. That’s why I recommend using it to make this recipe. However, it can be substituted with plant-based nut yogurts. But keep in mind that nut yogurt always adds a slightly nutty taste.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- Cut away the flesh from the mango. Check out this excellent guide on how to cut a mango.
- Add all ingredients into your blender.
- Blend until smooth. The mango lassi is quite thick, add more water if you prefer a lighter and thinner mango lassi drink.
- Serve your vegan mango lassi over ice and decorate it with lime slices.
Use one cup plant-based milk such as oat or soy milk (I don’t recommend nut milk) and leave out the yogurt and water in the recipe.
Store it in an airtight container (e.g. glass bottle) for up to two days in your fridge.
You can substitute the mango with any other fresh or frozen fruit or even drink it plain without any fruit at all.
More Vegan Recipes You’ll Love:
- Mango Lemonade
- Watermelon Water
- Hibiscus Iced Tea
- Vegan Thai Iced Tea
- Beetroot Latte
- Apple Ginger Shot
- All Drink Recipes
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE?
I would love it if you leave me a 5-star rating or comment. This way, I better get to know which recipes you like and can make more of them.
Vegan Mango Lassi
- 1 mango ripe
- ½ cup (180g) soy yogurt
- ½ cup (120ml) water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar, coconut sugar
- ½ lime only juice
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ice cubes
- Cut away the flesh from the mango and place it with all other ingredients in your blender.
- Blend until you have a smooth and creamy mango lassi. Serve over ice.
- Add up to 1 cup water for a thinner & lighter lassi.
- Add ½ tsp ground turmeric for a vibrant yellow color.
- Substitute the soy yogurt with any plant-based yogurt.